Register now to get rid of these ads!

1947 Remington model 11

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by 67drake, Dec 10, 2020.

1. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

E11AA2A7-34D1-4025-9733-6D7BD127A72F.jpeg 04E5EE53-B5CA-4FF4-BD2C-AE6899D94D81.jpeg D3CBCE00-84BD-467C-B20A-7A01C78D03DC.jpeg I got my dad’s guns when he passed away back in 1990. I actually use his early 70’s 870 Wingmaster as my go to gun for bird hunting.
    So while digging through my gun cabinets trying to organize the mess I came across an old shotgun of his that hasn’t been used in at least 50 years. His old Remington model 11 that I always forget I even have. The end of the barrel was damaged, so I thought, so I never paid too much attention to it. I looked up the serial numbers, and it was made in 1947.
    I posted a few pics and asked a few questions on a gun website I belong to, and come to find out that the “damage” was what was left of a missing screw on choke! I found the missing part on the internet and bought it.
    Now a complete gun again. I’m no gun guru, though I’ve been shooting for years, so next step is to take it to a gunsmith to give it a good inspection. The stock also needs a little attention. I hope to get this working again and pass it down to my kids. :)
    Last picture is what it looked like originally, second is with the new choke.

2. Man that is an old variable choke. They used to be quite common on shotguns that did not have an easily removable barrel. The idea was that the same gun could be used for long shots and close in shooting for quail or woodcock. With a simple twist it could be opened or full. The barrel on that gun is quite long, maybe the longest I’ve ever seen with a variable choke. Screw in choke tubes are the norm now.
    Since Remington went under this year the old guns are worth holding on to. That 870 you have is probably one of the best pump guns ever made.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  3. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

Thanks. Yeah it took me a while to track the choke down. I couldn’t find any on the gun sites. Ended up getting a hold of a guy on EBay who had a ton of gun parts for sale. He looked around his place and found this one. The threads are 16tpi, where the later model ones had 24 TPI, so I was happy just to find it.
    I’ve bought 3 870’s for my sons when they were old enough to hunt. 2 12gauge, and 1 20. I love these 870’s. I told them if they take care of them they will last a lifetime. All of theirs have the screw in Rem choke.

4. This is a version of a Cutts Compensator. Developed by Colonel Richard Malcolm Cutts. USMC. The original version was designed to reduce recoil in large bore guns. Later developed into a interchangeable choke system like this one.
    D71A16E9-B0E6-4219-A0D6-48190B50888B.jpeg DD76E707-D477-40F6-B664-C14449204AB9.jpeg

67drake likes this.

5. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

Coincidentally, I have just read up on those. I had to do a little research and reading up on old chokes, and came across a few write ups on the Cutts.
    At first glance I figured it was a flame arrestor. But when explained that the gasses are disbursed evenly at a 90 degree angle to the barrel, and used to reduce kick, it makes sense. Simple for me to understand, but a genius idea!
    I never read anything about if it reduced projectile velocity at all?

wraymen likes this.
  6. Cutts compensators were also used on model 1921 Thompson submachine guns to try and control muzzle climb.Not sure how well they worked as I don't recall seeing them on the model 1927.
    My favorite shotgun is a Remington 1100. I happened to find a left handed model with a 26 and a 30 inch barrel many years ago. Used it as a trap gun with the 30 inch barrel and probably ran about ten thousand rounds through it with nary a problem. Will go to my youngest son who is also left handed as soon as he moves to a state where the gun laws aren't so restrictive.

wraymen likes this.