Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1947 Pontiac front end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sprout, May 3, 2017.

1. Sprout

Sprout

Just bought a 47 Pontiac Streamliner. It has a 455 in it. All the front end bushings are worn out. Kanter sells a kit but I was wondering if there is anything I could do to switch it out with something a little newer. Don't want to clip it.

2. Sprout

Sprout

3. I'd check out an XJ6 Jag, series 1 or 2 I know have been used in various 40's cars here in Oz including 40-48 Fords, & GM products, they also use the standard Chev bolt pattern as well........you use the complete jag suspension & steering, an upper shock mount has to be fabricated but that's a fairly easy job........dunno if this helps.......andyd

upfberg likes this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I have an OT F/E in my 46 Olds, Orn here on the HAMB did a XJ Jag conversion on his 47 Olds coupe which, like mine, would be pretty close if not the same as your F/E. OEM X-member and spring pockets were removed and new chassis rails fabricated to replace the original. Series 2 or S3 is the better F/E, not S1. Also if solid mounted you can use a normal universal joint, if rubber mounted you need a slip coupling, 3/4"DD inside 1"DD.
    [​IMG]

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A friend has a 47 Old vert and rebuilt his F/E replacing kingpings, bushes etc. He drained the OEM shocks and added telescopics as well as discs brakes. There is some minor fabrication of brackets but a lot less than what Orn did with his car.
    A lot depends on finances, time, skills etc. A rebuilt front end will be a lot simpler, quicker and more traditional and ride as it was meant to.

This

[​IMG]
    OR
    upload_2017-5-3_19-14-57.png

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  6. Jebo

Jebo

Sprout likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No, totally different parts, just looks similar. Buick, Olds and Pontiac are mostly the same.

Ray

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Chevy is top hat frame with removable F/E.
    Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac have a heavy conventional frame with springs pockets.

9. Jebo

Jebo

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Your frame will look something like this upload_2017-5-3_21-55-49.png

Jebo likes this.
  11. fordflambe

fordflambe

Dont know what you are trying to do but Fat Man Fabrication sells dropped uprights and steering arms for that car and there is a member of 42-48 Pontiac message group on Yahoo that sells disc brakes for stock set up. Occasionally, he sells his kits on EBay. Maybe fresh parts from Kanter and a few of these parts will get you where you are going?

Pontiac these years are slightly wider (track width) than Chevrolet so be careful if thinking Chevrolet stuff might work.............

Sprout likes this.
  12. Sprout

Sprout

Thanks fellas