Register now to get rid of these ads!

1947 "Kit" teardrop chassis round tube size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32fivewindow, Nov 22, 2011.

1. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Can someone measure their "kit" and tell me the O.D. of the 1947 "Kit" teardrop chassis round tube size Please?

I am going to try and match an original style, and have an original floor to use as a guide. I refuse to use the Harbor Frieght bolt together trailers.

Thanks Brandon

2. Larry T

Larry T

The factory built Kampmaster I have is on a 1 1/2" X .250 angle iron frame.
    Larry T

Attached Files:

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  4. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Sorry should have been more specific, I am trying to do an original style tube frame, from the pics it looks like 2 inch?

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My brother had a '47 Teardrop kit, it was on steel channel rails. (generic hot rolled channel)

I've never heard of nor seen plans of one on round tube chassis. (but I considered doing one that way)

6. Can't see it very well in this shot, but the tongue is round tube, approx 2", I can measure it when I get home, and the rest of it is channell. This is an original frame. I am pretty sure they are all like this, the whole frame is not made from round tube, just the front.

[​IMG]

Here is a link to the build thread of mine.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602690
    Good luck

7. Kits did not use round tube for their frames. They were channel and angle iron

8. As others have already posted, the tongues were made from round tube stock and the frames were fabricated from angle/channel iron (ala the frame in flt-blk's pic).

I sold our (unrestored) 1947 KIT teardrop many years ago ... so I can't measure or photograph the frame for you ... but I do have some pics of it in my '47 KIT "Sportsman" photo album ... just click the thumbnail:

'47 KIT.jpg

NOTE: @Special Ed restored his '47 Kit teardrop trailer ... perhaps he'll chime in!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  9. jguff

jguff

Kit used round tube for the tongue. It was bolted to the channel iron frame about 6 inches back from the front crossmember. I have restored/rebuilt 3 early 46 to 48 Kits and they all had the same frame structure. For a wealth of info on teardrops go to www.mikenchell.com

Jerome

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  10. On my 46 KIT the tongue is 1.75" tube. The tongue extends back about 4" under the leading edge of the camper before it transitions to the C-Chanel frame

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

11. Special Ed

Special Ed

I have my '47 KIT about 20' from me as I type this, if you need any additional info. Looks like these guys have you covered for now... :)

12. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

You guys all rock. I am starting to build a kit, 1946 or 1947 it is all complete (in pieces) with no frame and missing the door, so I'll start with that. I start posting some pics as I go, and if I am doing anything stupid please let me know. I will go buy some channel tomorrow and I have some 1.75 tube and I'll make the tongue. The original floor has impressions of the frame so I have a pattern.

In your guys' pics it looks like a sideways "C" channel.... 2"?
    Also my fenders have the fiberglass flare going up, is the for a specific year?

In the mean time thanks a bunch.

13. alicia-dusty

alicia-dusty

Look up tincan tourist.com I know some of the bigger trailers had larger center round tube of maybe 3or 4". Our 1960 pacer airstream, (16.5') from bumper to ball has a true 2x4 full frame.

14. This is a new fender from the original 47 mold
    I was told early 46 didn't have fenders (like mine)
    Late 46 had flat top sheet metal type fender
    57 had the fiberglass fenders

Attached Files:

15. NOS fenders from George at teardrop Fix-It-Shop

Attached Files:

16. Special Ed

Special Ed

Are you certain those are NOS? I know several people were re-popping 'em as new, but I wasn't aware of any NOS stuff from KIT anywhere. Just curious...:confused:

For the original poster... You might consider adding another door to yours, as that seems to be the one common thing that people wish they had, if their's only had one door...:)

I also have the original factory canvas extension with original poles, if you need any dimensions on that.

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Why the hell are teardrop trailers do FUCKING cool?

18. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Teardrops are so cool because they are easliy towable, and if meet any sexy women at the show, you'll have a place to go.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The great thing about building one is that unless you are sticking to an exact set of plans you can fudge on the dimensions a bit to suit yourself. The frame I have is 4 ft wide and 9-1/2 ft long on the deck. I've got a small travel trailer at the house that I am thinking about taking the original body off and making a smaller trailer on the frame that will have about as much room in it as a small Scamp or Burro trailer.