Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1947 Ford Sedan work in progress

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by redzula, Oct 21, 2015.

1. redzula

redzula

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the girls and I went to a brunch thing

[​IMG]

And I got stuck in the rain taking them to school the next day with no wipers. Haha oh well what do you do?
    [​IMG]

Outback likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Rain x! Lol

3. redzula

redzula

Just checked

Fronts are 195/65/15. Radials with portawalls
    Rears are 205/75/15

4. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Thanks. Are yours still vacuum wipers? I haven't planned far enough down ct he road to worry about wipers?

5. redzula

redzula

My wipers are MIA just the caps on the drivers side stud and the cap glued over the hole on the passenger side. The windshield being pretty upright helps it clear rain though. Ask how I know haha.

6. redzula

redzula

It's update time... in April we moved to a different suburb but still in the Des Moines area. 3 days later my third daughter was born. That makes 3 girls and I think we are done now. And the wife is coming around to the idea. Still moving and unpacking months later but with little ones the time is rare.

I didn't do anything with the car over the last winter because of the move and new baby and all. This spring we got the car out of the storage unit, and have just been driving it.

Some car friends of mine started a small cruise in thing on Monday nights and we've gone to most if those. It gets a good mix of cars but not many HAMB cars though.

We went to goodguys over the 4th of July as we usually do. Sunday morning however my passenger side hood hinge let go one if the bolts stripped out of the hood just need to nutsert it back in. But i didnt have time as iy was sunday morning the last day of ythe big showdown, so i did whatg any hot rodder would do, I took the hinge off yhe oyher side and headed down. Now it looks like a hot rod hahah. And I've been driving it that way ever since. I kinda dig the look. Wife hates it though

[​IMG]

Just last night I finally put a car seat base in the back seat so now we all fit in the car and don't have to take our late model to bring the whole family along. Then we were all set to go meet the Bones as they came through town headed to Bonneville. Bucket list material pics to come.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  7. redzula

redzula

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Blury was all I got apparently
    [​IMG][​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. redzula

redzula

9. redzula

redzula

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Only picture of my car there is a screenshot from snapchat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't want to take away from your thread on your '47 Tudor but this is an amazing picture! Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks also for the update on your Tudor. I am watching your thread - I sold my '47 Tudor a couple weeks a go but I am looking at another one in North Carolina.
    [​IMG]

48fordnut, slv63 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. redzula

redzula

There is a similar, but better not phone quality, one on the rolling bones FB page from their first night in OH I think. Cool site to see in person though pics just don't do it justice

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. redzula

redzula

Unfortunately I think this winter the engine is going to need resealed. The trans still howls pretty bad and I'm starting to really want a couple more gears. I think it's about time for a t5 and open driveshaft. So if I can get the parts together that's the winter plan. If you know anyone selling any of them let me know. Going to need a bellhousing adapter, clutch, trans, driveshaft, yoke for a banjo, probably a split wishbone kit. Trying to keep it budget friendly. And anyone whose done it I'm open to any tips and tricks to making it happen.

13. redzula

redzula

Did a little pre-shopping and thinking today. Adapting a t5 to a flathead seems straight forward. It's the getting it installed in the car I'm hung up on.

I tried searching and obviously wasn't doing it right because I didn't find much but, when it comes to actually installing everything.
    1. Do I need to split the front wishbone chassis engineering has kits for that but they seems to all be for auto transmissions.
    2. Open drive for sure. Trying to reuse the banjo for now to keep the cost down. (An extra $1000 in a parallel leaf kit and a new rear axle on top if the trans and adapters) would a ladder bar setup work with the tapered bells of a banjo. What other can of worms will I open with that?

Is there a build thread someone knows of that shows putting one in the 41-48 fords

14. topher5150

topher5150

In the chassis engineering catalog I think they have kits for Ford, Chevy and "stick" transmissions

15. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Doing something similar. Here's the thread I've got going for mine: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...cities-1948-ford-build.1021019/#post-12128284.
    Still trying to get the front axle hung without the shackles interfering with the wishbone track bar mount. Waiting for my next round of advice from Posies.

16. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you decide to go the T5 route I would recommend that you go with a Cornhusker's T5 conversion kit. They have an excellent product and they are an Alliance vendor to boot. I have bought one of Gary's conversions in the past and it was excellent.

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

1: yes it needs split as far as I'm aware
    2: yes chassis engineering
    3: cory talbert just built a gizmo to turn his t5 into a closed shaft unit. Not cheap I'm sure but could be worth the hassle saved to talk to him about that option

Runnin shine likes this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@TexasSpeed did you put a 5 speed in that sedan you built?

redzula likes this.
  19. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I am building a '41, and I just found your thread. I too was planning on running a t5 when I came across a rebuilt borg warner overdrive. My point is, I made the bw unit fit in the frame without having to split the wishbones, and to the best of my knowledge the t5 is a smaller trans. I had both trans at the same time but I don't have any pictures of them side by side. I have pictures of the install, and if I knew how id insert a link here, but I don't. I did all the math and to me it was much more expensive to go with the original banjo, and with my build I wanted modern brakes. I am on a budget also, side job money kinda build. Ended up with a explorer rear axle and parallel leafs, and it has been a pretty straight forward install.

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/my-41-ford-deluxe-tudor-build.1045646/page-5

That what your wanting to link to?

redzula likes this.
  21. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I just copy and pasted what was in the address bar on the top of the page. And I really don't know what the trophy points are. Just a forum trinket that doesn't mean anything

23. redzula

redzula

From a local show last night. Just me and my middle daughter this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LBCD and Tim like this.
  24. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Looking good. I love getting the kids involved. Since ive bought my car(41) ive wandered how far the rear windows roll down. Are yours all the way down?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. redzula

redzula

Yes they are fully down here is a better shot of it.
    [​IMG]

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Forgot they even go down I always roll mine back lol.

Drove home from the hamb drags- 95 feels like 111- at 70 mph in a sweat shirt. Closed everything then opened both wing windows and rolled both back windows back. I was actually chilly!

The airnwould come in the drivers vent, and if you did it right bounce off the passenger side door glass and out the drivers side back window.

I was amazed! My dad thought I was nuts when I said roll em all up! Had to have dropped 15 deg instantly

redzula and Thor1 like this.
  27. redzula

redzula

I'm windows all down vent vent windows flipped back to catch air and the cowl vent open usually. Mostly because it makes youh smell like exhaust bad with them all up fine for me but not really for the wife and kids.

Unfortunately with no hood now the cowl vent just pulls hot air off the engine and into the cabin. So t

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah that's normally how I would go about it but I couldn't believe how much cooler it was! Duck tape that floor and fire wall and cool off lol

29. redzula

redzula

Well I'm poor so probably no t5 and rear end swap this winter.... But I am going to pull the flathead and trans and rebuild them to stockish for now... still plan on the t5 and rear end eventually but just not going to happen now. I should probably rewire it while I'm at it.

And for at least something fun I'm going to paint some cool onto the fenders.

I lined some scallops out in thin masking tape to get the idea. I'll get with my pinstriper friend in a couple weeks to do it in paint. I'm going to have him just do the outlines as I think filled in would be too much. What do you all think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Outback and InstantT like this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Still waiting on your photos to load, internets a little slow for me tonight for some reason. Anyhow while theynload I thought I'd plant the thought in your head that a sbc, bellhousing adapater and a hurst mount is probably cheaper than rebuilding your flathead and it would let you wind it up higher so you don't need overdrive.

Probably what I would do if I build another one and it's already all there.

Photos just popped up. Its got a European hot rodder look to it, I don't mind it. I'd probably throw the hood on for a look to see if it does anything weird visually with it on.