Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1947 Ford Sedan work in progress

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by redzula, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Check your fuel filter is the first thing that comes to mine but you could also make sure the advance on your distributor is working. Could have a pinched vacuum hose that would make your vacuum advance stop working.

redzula likes this.
  2. redzula

redzula

Well I do probably need to go through all that anyway. But for now just need to stick to the KISS approach. And keep it simple stupid. I rechecked the plug wires before I left for lunch and there was one that was on the plug but not very secure. I put it back on making sure it was on well and she was back to running fine while I was out. Sounds like the simple winter project list is getting longer.

Tim likes this.
  3. redzula

redzula

A friend in town took me out to meet a super cool old Hot Rodder named Gene Cross last night so I could get a new trunk spring, check out his shop and cars, and basically just shoot the shit for a few hours. Gene is a awesome guy with tons of amazing stories. He and my friend Mike talked a lot while I just kind of sat back and absorbed the info, the shop, and all the cool cars and parts he has stashed in there.

I'm sure a lot of you guys already know about Gene simply because he seems to know everyone but for me it was a great experience just being around that stuff.

Any help let me take pictures of things around his shop. I didn't get shots everything by a long shot but here is what I did get.

1469193823785.jpg
    1469196036384.jpg
    1469196051062.jpg
    1469196062831.jpg
    1469196079444.jpg
    1469196090987.jpg
    1469196107837.jpg
    1469196116961.jpg
    1469196140738.jpg
    1469196148435.jpg
    1469196159828.jpg
    1469196166390.jpg
    1469196183237.jpg
    1469196198034.jpg
    1469196226913.jpg
    Canoe made from 2 junk 40 hoods
    1469196235382.jpg

low budget likes this.
  4. redzula

redzula

1469196428561.jpg
    1469196438474.jpg
    1469196477141.jpg
    1469196489791.jpg
    1469196501343.jpg
    Brand new used trunk springs. One of the new Springs is cracked so I'll have to swap them out
    1469196549030.jpg
    And got some blue dots.
    1469196554751.jpg

5. redzula

redzula

It's been a while so probably time for an update.

Had a lady ask me a bunch of questions when we were at a cruise in a while back. Long story short she was a writer for a local weekly periodical. That lead to the chairman of the des moines concours calling me and asking about having my car in the post war collectibles class at their upcoming invite only show. I told him it was rough and probably not what he was looking for but he came and checked it out anyway. And it wasn't what he wanted like I predicted. But I told him about our 1919 Oakland we have that would be good for a preservation class and we got invited to take that, but that's another story. Anyway that all got me thinking I wanted to do something about the paint peeling all over the roof and having bare me take exposed all over. So I got quotes from a few shops around town and ended up having the roof (trunk to cowl between the drip rails) and hood painted. Which morphed into stripping the portions mentioned as well as smoothing up the rest of the quarters and the tops of the doors from the trim up. It took about 4 weeks and looks great. Not too showy but it blends well with what wasn't painted and looks great. Even said when he stripped the roof there was absolutly no dents or bondo in it at all just perfect tin.

Part of the deal was he would take out what he needed to of the trim and Windows etc and I would reinstall. Personally I'd rather reinstall that stuff myself as I wanted to take my time do it right ad fix an issue with the rear smokers windows before reinstalling them. While it's was back home and in our shop I got a call from Nostalgia sids that my axle was ready and he needed my spindles so he could drop the steering arms, fit new kingpins, and send it all back to me. So now I have the front suspension all torn apart so it's ready for the new axle. And I'll keep reassembling the trim things while I wait for the axle to come back.

Fun times.

Pics to follow.

Oh and I also got a promotion at work which includes a company truck, and pay raise been training the last couple weeks and will go to that full time when the replacement for my current position is hired. I'll be a construction supervisor for Casey's General Stores based out of Des Moines and will be like a superintendent or project manager for the construction of new stores, and remodels.

BigChief and Tim like this.
  6. redzula

redzula

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]/72a3b6a25b512ab99231b38df10045f1.jpg[/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I came out to the shop tonight to finish taking the axle and wishbone or so I can get ready for the new axle and so far all I've done is update my hamb thread...oops... time to get to work I guess.

Check out my thread on my smokers windows working right if anyone had more knowledge about how the are supposed to look and work
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php?threads/1033957/
    47 ford sedan smokers window help

Tim likes this.
  7. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

What are smoker rear windows?

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The back windows on these cars roll backwards about an inch or two. Some people call them smokers Windows, they are great for cross ventilation

9. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Thanks, did not know that. Frank

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

They are great!! Open the passenger side one and lower your drivers window a bit and at 65 mph in 90 deg temps your still comfortable with out a wind storm!

11. redzula

redzula

Any tips for getting the perch bolts out of the front end so I can separate the axle and wishbone. Does anyone make these perch bolts with the 2 hokes for shock and sway bar links on the top? Or do I need to save them?

12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Have you tried Acetone and ATF mix and it it soak. I don't know if there replacements available, check with Mac or one of the outer restoration suppliers. Some times you can use a large gear puller to push out the perch out why applying a little heat to the axle to expand it. The trick is heat the axle not the perch bolt to expand the axle while pushing it out with the puller. That's my 2ct worth. Frank

redzula likes this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I've always had to fight them, and no one makes them.

I'd get it out of the car, turn it upside down with the nut on the end so when you get the axle hot and wack it you don't mushroom the pin.

Maybe try an air hammer?

redzula likes this.
  14. Here's a pic of the one on my 46 Tudor Sedan. Driver's side, on the bottom side of the frame Vin#.jpg

Attached Files:

redzula likes this.
  15. redzula

redzula

Well it was going too easy. I messed up one of the perch bolts trying to get it out. Can't buy new ones sok I'm going to have to hunt them down. There's a guy in town with an axle I can take apart myself (and risk messing it up again) and he suggested calling a guy out in Nevada which I tried but wasn't able to get ahold of yet. If anyone knows of some NOS or used ones in good shape that still have the tabs for sway bar and shock links on the top let me know. I'll be making a wanted add for them too

Low Beam likes this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

How did you mess yours up? Like specifically?

Mushroom the ends?

17. redzula

redzula

Got one side out just fine by using heat on the axle and then an air hammer with a rivet tool bit. The other side was not as easy to break free. And I tried the same thing but it wasn't working s I grabbed a 2# hammer to try and get it started moving, bad idea, first hit mushroomed out the end.

18. redzula

redzula

A local guy has a stock wishbone and axle he said I could have the bolts out of if I got them out. So this time I'm going to try head and an actual press. And if that doesn't work I have a NOS bolt I found from a guy out in NV but he wants $125 + shipping for it so I'm going to try luck with the local guys axle first.

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good luck man those things really don't like to move

20. redzula

redzula

Got them out. Tried a press but that didn't work. I ended up cutting the axle up (it already had the ends cut off when I got it so no good axles were harmed during the process) which helped get some heat in it the an air hammer used more wisely this time and then slid out. I picked the 2 best bolts and nuts of the three usable ones I had and cleaned up the threads. I threw the bolts in the freezer for a few hours and then put the new axle together. Freezing them made the bolts nice and easy to put in.

Then I worked on getting the shock and sway bar links out. They were all easy except the ends in the end of the sway bar but I got them eventually. New links in and should have the brakes and wheels on tonight or tomorrow depending on when I get out to the shop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Steps in the right direction! Congrats

22. redzula

redzula

Wheels on last night little alignment needed to get the steering wheel straight but otherwise it's going well. Hoping to get it all back together with the windows and interior back together tonight. Then I need to take a break and catch up on some stuff around the house.

Tim likes this.
  23. redzula

redzula

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before the axle shot forgot to take the measurements from before but it hadn't settled too much from the spring install before I started on the axle.
    [​IMG]

Edit: just went back and checked. The measurements are almost exactly the same as when I first bought it and like the stance then... now it's without all the suspension noise though like when I first got it... much better.

48fordnut and Tim like this.
  24. redzula

redzula

Had to move a refrigerator out of the shop for my brother in law. Could have just pushed the 47 forward enough to clear... where is the fun in that. Just had to pull it out and listen to her warm up while I worked. Boring but it make me smile.
    [​IMG]

Tim likes this.
  25. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Replacing the front axle/springs is next up for me. I'm not looking forward to getting those perches out after reading your thread!

26. I just got done doing the front end in my car last night. I had to have a new drag link made and shortened the pan arm bar a little...did you run into any problems there?

I'm also trying to figure out a way to make these 15" Olds Fiesta caps work on my 16" wheels but it's not looking like it will work.

IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0818.JPG

treb11 and Baumi like this.
  27. redzula

redzula

Oh it's tons of fun. Haha.

My Panhard had been pretty beat up then trying to make the noises go away I wrongly thought it was the problem and put a couple more bends in it to try and make it clear... ended up working fine once I took the extra bends back out and bought a new spring.
    Can't help with the caps. Good luck though they look good on the car. Hope you can keep um.

28. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

hi Chris, car looks good! Just got done with mine, Had Sids drop the axle and he also dropped the steering arms. Re-assembled it and had no fitment problems. Dropped it 3" with the stock spring.

redzula likes this.
  29. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Hey Red - what size tires and wheels are those?

Car sounds great. Can't wait till I can hear mine like that.

30. redzula

redzula

Sorry just saw this... not sure on size I'll have to remember to check next time I'm out there. They are radials with port-a-walls

I did recently decide while looking at it and hating the front "white walls" touching the ground because they are too wide for the tires. Making them squeak and they were starting to crack from touching pavement I grabbed a knife and cut off about an inch off. Used a jack stand and jacked up one wheel at a time a spun the wheel to cut an even round circle. Worked pretty well.

48fordnut and Tim like this.