Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1947 Ford Sedan work in progress

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by redzula, Oct 21, 2015.

1. redzula

redzula

That makes more sense. I held a straight length of scrap I had laying around up to the spring eyes and measures from the cross member to that.

2. redzula

redzula

While I was out there last night I replaced my drag link with a new piece from Bob Drake. No pictures of that because it's just a bolt in deal.

I did get pictures of the new ride height measurements and also of the new found sway bar clearance.
    At the bumper
    1462043700612.jpg
    At the wheel well
    1462043709880.jpg
    Wheel well to tire gap
    1462043724898.jpg

Suspension at ride height with the new spring. Should be plenty of clearance.
    1462043736288.jpg
    Also the idea of using the longer shock dog bone links for the sway bar isn't going to work because they are too long and will hit the axle and not be able to line up the bolt holes. But honestly with the new spring giving me more clearance I probably don't even need to mess with it.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Meh don't worry about it for now and I'll send you some upper shock mounts to the Des Moines good guys show.

redzula likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh, out of curiosity is clearance the same on the drivers side? You keep showing the passenger side. Could be a twisted sway bar if they are different, I thought mine was tweaked until I realized my axle was bent a touch :S

5. redzula

redzula

That's a good question I'll have to check both sides when I'm out there again. But I believe they are the same or very close

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I never noticed till I replaced the dog bones and had to push one side down to do it

7. redzula

redzula

The sway bar was a little off center which I fixed but side to side is pretty much the same.

Passenger side
    1462210676205.jpg

Drivers side
    1462210562533.jpg

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking at the spot the end of the sway bar would have to be to have it hit the shock body it looks like you would have to compress the suspension at least three inches. I wouldn't worry about it.

Also I think I got confused when talking about the dog bones and that photo made it clear what I actually did- it's been a while- after I lowered the car I put short dog bones on the shock. That way the arm is level when in normal conditions and not pointed up.

This will give you more shock travel before it bottoms the shock out and in my head the compression/ rebound is going to be ideal when the arm is level because when you take them off the car it seems like that's more or less where they return to. That make since?

9. redzula

redzula

It does make sense. But since I'm planning to change to tube shocks. I'm not too worried about it right now.

If you look back at the stock spring pictures at the spot the sway bar would hit the shock. It was about 3/4" I also noticed a spot on the wishbone that looked like it had been contacting so I'd say it was good that I replaced the spring now. As I would have just kept chasing other things until I got the spring replaced anyway. So I'm happy. Plus when I do eventually put a drop axle on it the compressed spring height shouldn't really change much since the drop is basically at the wheel itself so the sway bar clearance should be maintained in theory at least. For now though I'm done with the suspension until I do the axle

Tonight or tomorrow night my job is to figure out why my brake lights stopped working. Pretty sure its just a loose wire at the switch so I'm going to trace and fix that.

Thanks for all your help so far Tim.

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

No problem, and yeah that area is not affected at all with the dropped axle

11. redzula

redzula

So I've been driving it and all has been good. Except that if it sits for a day I have to crank forever to start it or pull the air filter and pour gas into the carb... I've found that pouring directly into the bowl vent can fill the bowl and get it going faster but it's still a pain

So tonight's and the next couple nights projects is going to be installing this airtex fuel pump I bought. I got one that was a pass through so the mechanical pump should be able to pull gas through it just fine (at least that's what the Internet says)

The mechanical pump works just fine once it's running since it's just a single holley 94 so I'm planning to hook the pump to a momentary switch to use for priming only and then once it's running it will just be off the mechanical. If that makes sense. I bought a switch that looks like the starter switch and was planning to mount that in the dash next to the starter switch but now that it's here I'm rethinking that for some reason.

Sent from my SM-N920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. redzula

redzula

Forgot the pics here is the pump
    [​IMG]

And the switch I got
    [​IMG]

And I thought is put it right here
    [​IMG]

Obviously it would be in the same orientation as the starter switch once it's installed. But like I said I'm not sure about that. Not sure why so let me know your thoughts on it. I think I just not sure I want to install it then not like it and be stuck with the hole. I'm probably over thinking it.

13. It sounds like your gas is draining back when it sits. Check all your connections and make sure they are tight. A leak could make it do that.

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It being 100 deg with 85% humidity the last week in Iowa could also do that lol.

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Nice job on the plywood. However, pointy rear corners and upolstery don't match so I would round them off. I would also get some vinyl and using spray adhesive cover both sides for added protection. Cool car by the way!

redzula likes this.
  16. redzula

redzula

I didn't see anything really leaking. The carb is a little damp looking but there are no pools or anything and the and it doesn't look damp enough to be a bowl full of gas.

Tim
    The weather definitely affects it on cooler days it can be a day or 2 and I won't have to prime it but with the heat lately it's a day at most.

Either way I'll double check everything as I'm finishing up the install.

17. redzula

redzula

Thanks

The sharp corners sit all the way back against the floor between the seat back and the bottom. But it never hurts to be safe. I've had a few people suggest the vinyl and I'll probably do that later this summer just to make it look better if nothing else. I can nock those corners down when I do that.

18. Red are you going to have this car at the Des Moines Good Guys' on 4th of July weekend?

redzula likes this.
  19. redzula

redzula

Yep. Stop and say hi if you see me.

IowaMercMan likes this.
  20. redzula

redzula

Two nights ago I got the pump installed in the fuel line. Spilled gas all over myself which was fun. Last night I installed the switch and got that all wired I switched the ground wire and all I have left to do is hook up the power and a fuse. Don't mind the red wire loom it's all I had around the shop and it will work for now until I get to rewiring the whole car plus you can't see any loom at all from the top side.
    There is about 1.5-2" of clearance between the pump and the glass pack so I might need to make a heat shield to keep the pump from getting heated too much. On to pictures.

Switch location. The starter switch sits a little recessed and the fuel pump doesn't which bugs me a little but it will be fine.
    [​IMG]

Installed using an existing hole in the frame (again ignore the ugly red loom)
    [​IMG]

Pump to glass pack clearance
    [​IMG]

Tim likes this.
  21. redzula

redzula

Had a little last minute pinstriping done on the dash today before goodguys tomorrow. I like it. Glove box door has a butterfly for my wife. (Butterflies are a symbol for infant and pregnancy loss like we went through earlier this year and she has loved them ever since)

Had it done by a local guy named Chris Hay who I think is on the Hamb, but I don't know his username. He's a super cool guy I met at some of the cruises around town. I asked for the butterfly and told him the rest was his to do whatever. I waited too long and didn't leave enough time before goodguys to do the outside but I'll have that done later this summer.

Also if anyone could point to me to or knows the specs/dimensions I'd need for my front axle let me know I'm planning on trying to find a deal on a dropped one at GG

1467351034115.jpg
    1467351047705.jpg
    1467351056727.jpg
    1467351065338.jpg

Tim likes this.
  22. redzula

redzula

Goodguys is here. We went Friday and Saturday. Got spots on Main both days. And as usual most of the pictures are in my head... I'm really bad at taking pictures at shows.

My car and the truck I was with on Saturday
    1467555878020.jpg

Saw the hot rods of Omaha guys and talked to Malcom for a few minutes. Super nice guy as always and all of those cars are bad ass

1467556265530.jpg
    1467556277570.jpg

This awesome Edsel camper thing that was crazy.
    1467556447672.jpg
    1467556460559.jpg

Came home mid afternoon Friday. Our 2 year old wanted to ride in the "fo d seben" as she calls it. And barely made it out of the fairgrounds before crashing.
    1467556504381.jpg

Came a little later on Saturday and did the sky ride which is always good for cool views
    1467556741722.jpg
    1467556765423.jpg
    1467556804235.jpg
    1467556832452.jpg

Family shots
    Lyra our 2 yr old rode with me
    1467556688602.jpg
    And Tenley our 4 yr old with my wife 1467556897787.jpg

My friends son drove the truck for us while we cruised. One of the fun parts about des moines GG is the constant cruising.
    1467556968506.jpg

More friends came sans cars and we all stayed for the fireworks and to watch all the cars leaving right after them
    1467557019216.jpg
    1467557036549.jpg

Attached Files:

lbcd and Malcolm like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks like a good time was had!

24. redzula

redzula

It was fun as usual... it was cool and cloudy (which is helpful for fair skinned gingers like me) usually it's either 100 degree with high humidity or were dodging severe thunderstorms right during the middle of the show. First time I can remember people rushing to buy and wear sweatshirts and long pants.

25. Friday was sunny and perfect. I saw you cruising but never was able to track you down. Car looks great !

redzula likes this.
  26. redzula

redzula

Sorry I missed ya. We never come super early because it's hard in the kids but that means we have to find a spot in the back 40 and hope something near friends opens up later. We eventually found our way to main street both days.

What were you driving maybe I saw you and didn't realize it.

27. redzula

redzula

Also I met a super nice guy with a 47 ford coupe from Council Bluffs named Lance. He said he was on here but not active a lot lately. But I can't remember what his username was and wanted to try and add him on facebook and here. Anyone know who he is.

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Good to see you at the show on Saturday!

redzula likes this.
  29. redzula

redzula

And you as well always a good day when you're talking cool hot rods with cool dudes

30. redzula

redzula

Had a bit of an issue on my way to work today. Any time I had part throttle and a load like going up a hill or just trying to accelerate it seemed like one of the cylinders wasn't firing. I was halfway to work and haven't had any chance to look at it yet but I was wondering if one of you engine guys had any thoughts on where to start.
    I'm thinking it's ignition related as I haven't touched the carb and it's still running the same gas in the tank as the last time I drove it on Monday. I had a loose plug wire a while back but just needed to reseat the wire so I checked that and they all seem tight at the plugs. It's all the original stuff in the distributor and coil with an added resistor since it's 12V now.