Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1947 Ford Sedan work in progress

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by redzula, Oct 21, 2015.

1. redzula

redzula

I used what I had at the house which is actually for modern fuel injection. I've had trouble getting the regular low pressure stuff lately. Sucks cause the high pressure stuff like twice as expensive but it's a non issue this time.

-Adam

Sent from my rotary phone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Dan Hay, Thor1 and Tim like this.
  2. redzula

redzula

Well I'm TX legal now. Sort of, still running my Iowa vintage plates until I can find the right vintage TX plates. But even then I didn't register under the displayed plate. Taking the chance that I won't have an issue there. Time will tell.

PXL_20210108_230356766.jpeg

Drove it around the block a ways to the safety inspection shop. Seems to run better than it had but something is still off. Now that the electrical is sorted I'm going to spend a little more time investigating but I'm getting close to waving the white flag and finding a good old boy shop who knows the old stuff to check it out. Just can't seem so find anything that says " hey dummy, this is the problem right here." And it's getting a bit annoying.

-Adam

Thor1 and Tim like this.
  3. redzula

redzula

Picked up pizza for movie night. And also went to Walmart for dogfood... Twice cause I forgot my wallet the first time round

IMG_20210108_185957_730.jpeg
    PXL_20210109_003457173.jpeg
    PXL_20210109_003335661.jpeg

-Adam

Tim and Thor1 like this.
  4. When you find some Texas 1947 plates to your liking, (you will need a matched pair to register it) you can switch to an “Antique” registration which means you won’t have to run the ugly windshield sticker. And, Antique registrations are good for 5 years. There are restrictions to antique registrations like, you can’t use it for daily transportation, only to go to shows or to do mechanical work, but everyone I know runs antique, drives there cars everywhere and has never been bothered by the law. I’ve had antique registration on every old car I’ve owned (25 years old or older) for the 14 years I’ve lived here and never had an issue either.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Thor1 and redzula like this.
  5. redzula

redzula

With the my distraction projects all buttoned up I've been driving it a little. Still having the missfire/loss of power issues. And trying to sort out exactly when it happens to try and find the actual root of the problem.

So symptoms.
    #1. It backfires with pops and bangs out the exhaust when ever it's loaded up. Unfortunately without a sincro in first gear that means whenever I hit a stop light just right or go around one if the 14,762 roundabouts in Ft Worth I either have to stop and hold up traffic to go to first or leave it in second and drive away with theatrics from the exhaust backfiring.

#2 when I get into it accelerating moderately hard like half throttle or so. The power would sort of come and go. Almost like the car was bucking but it wouldn't pop and backfire unless I was closer to full throttle.

After my projects it was better but still had both issues. They were still there but it was a little more forgiving.

Going through the list of things I tried in my head I've replaced pretty much everything (that's the mark of a bad mechanic right just shotgunning parts until you eventually fix it)

Ignition;
    Points cleaned
    Condenser replaced
    Coil replaced
    Plug wires ohmmed and checked ok
    Plugs cleaned (and regapped badly I found out today)
    Ballast resistor replaced

Fuel
    Fuel tank replaced.
    Fuel pump cleaned and rebuilt
    Fuel filter bowl cleaned
    Fuel filter screen and gasket replaced
    Carbs rebuilt and deep cleaned
    Power valve plug replaced with one 5.5 that matched second carb
    Fuel line from carbs to pump replaced with rubber and they're a little larger

So basically the only thing I didn't touch was the section of fuel line from the firewall to where the primer electric fuel pump I think there is still a little crud in that line because I've since recleaned the glass bowl a few times because it got a little sediment in it.

You'll notice nine if that included the new wiring harness and rebuilt generator I also did.

Today I decided to replace the plugs since I had only cleaned them and that can be a crapshoot trying to get them clean enough.

Anyway I pulled off the autolites in favor of NGK. And I'm happy/embarrassed to report that I could probably have just started with the plugs and skipped the rest of that stuff. Oh well I guess its always fun to tinker.
    Plus with my ultimate goal being to sell and work on my pickup project I'll feel better as a seller knowing all that stuff has been gone through.

So you've made it this far here are the old plugs. Let me know what you see. They all look kind of decent to me. Maybe a little lean.

PXL_20210112_212124209.jpeg

New plugs run great. I've never been able to fully go full throttle. I can do that now. I drove around for an hour hour and a half or so trying to find the missfire again. Meaning I was driving it harder than I normally do. And nothing. Not a sputter or hesitation in sight so far at least.

-Adam

alanp561 and Thor1 like this.
  6. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I doubt it was the plugs, but I've been wrong before probably even today

7. redzula

redzula

Not real confident that was the actual problem either. So I'll keep taking it around town and wait for it to creep up again.

-Adam

8. Do you know Gene Cross from Des Moines? He lives in Runnels, actually. He'd be one of the first I'd call if I had an issue with a Flathead. Text me I'll give you his contact.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Paging @porknbeaner up a few posts. Any diagnostic thoughts?

10. redzula

redzula

Yeah I know Gene. He has been my go to for those random parts you can't buy new or need now like the radiator I destroyed a few years ago the night before good guys Des Moines.

He was the first guy I called when I originally started trying to sort it out back last summer. He was a but stumped as well. Even offered to swap distributors for me though he wasn't convinced that was the issue.

At this point I've replaced or rebuilt most of the fuel and ignition systems. It's finally running good so my plan for now is just keep driving it until symptoms may or may not return.

-Adam

Thor1 and Dan Hay like this.
  11. Vacuum leak somewhere?

Thor1 likes this.
  12. redzula

redzula

Maybe. Tried the spray carb cleaner around the common leak points and listen for RPM change when this all first started and didn't notice anything. I have removed and reinstalled the vacuum brake line for the distributor a few times. It ran worse with that disconnected so I put it back on and tried a few things to get it sealing better. That was my main focus of a possible leak.

-Adam

Thor1 likes this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Still no air filters correct?
    Could You have a vacuum leak or possible and exhaust leak? Both can do weird stuff like that

see Dan beat me to the vacuum leak.

14. redzula

redzula

No filters just the mesh screens speedway sells. Never thought exhaust leak. I've never touched the exhaust in anyway. Pretty sure I just unbolted the headers when I puller the motor out. Never even took the headers out of the car. Just bolted um back on when the engine was back in. Lok
    -Adam

Thor1 likes this.
  15. I'd spray carb cleaner all over the place, around the intake, carb base, runners, around the heads, etc.. anywhere it could suck air due to a crack or bad gasket.

Exhaust leak could be too, I had a lowered Caprice that I banged the exhaust on a railroad track and sheered a manifold bolt. That cylinder wouldn't fire or would fire intermittently until it warmed up and the gap closed between the manifold and head.

Tim, Thor1 and Tman like this.
  16. Well a lot of the stuff you did was actually right. Some of it was not but no reason to address that today its already done right? ;)

I have not had good luck with autolite plugs as of late. That said I do normally run them in a Ford well because its just a Ford ( @Austin kays :D ). I like AC Delcos real well and NGKs seem to work well too. reading plugs is not as easy as it once was. The alchohol makes it ruff.

Seems like your plugs were a problem. There are a myriad of things that will make one backfire, but it sounds like the plugs bailed you out this time.

Now to what really concerns me. If you do not have a syncro first gear you really need to learn how to double clutch. Now you can easily take this wrong because we are not friends yet but I'll say it anyway and let someone else clean up the mess. Please do not abuse your motor, learn to shift it.

Tim and Thor1 like this.
  17. redzula

redzula

No offense taken. I'm still learning.

I know what double clutching is just not got at it. I don't just ram it home though. I leave it in second if I can. (Doesn't pop anymore so that's back to being an option) if it's in that no man's land. Of the light turned green and I'm rolling 2-5 mph I just take the time to stop fully and then shift. In my mind that shouldn't be hurting anything right?
    it's just that I look like an ass to the people behind me lol.
    -Adam

Thor1 likes this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Does it pop at all when shifting around the 45-55 mph range? If your cruising say 60+ And completely let off does it do it?

I’d go tighten all your exhaust connections end to end, but maybe you’ve just got the carb tune off?

also don’t be embarrassed in traffic. There’s a 99% chance they don’t even notice a car is there let alone a cool one or one with you in it lol

Thor1 likes this.
  19. redzula

redzula

Not that I remember. But I'll try that in the next couple days.
    -Adam

20. I think it is the difference between growing up with one and learning at a later date.
    here is one that will make you chuckle. I thought that post war era though F-1 era pickups with granny low 4 speed were syncro after first. So the same as a full syncro 3 speed with an auxiliary low. We have a resident old Ford expert (who's name escapes me at this moment) who literally is a recognized old Ford expert. He informed me that they indeed had zero syncros and that I was just good at slipping gears. Made me fell a little dumber than normal.

The difference is that I learned to drive on this crap. It is normal to me.

A little practice and you will find that pumping the brakes, slipping gears, feathering the throttle, is all normal. You'll do fine. ;)

Thor1 likes this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@porknbeaner kinda funny, I drove many non synchro cars and had no clue they didn’t have any lol. Haven’t driven one in probably close to 15 years if you don’t count moving Austin’s chevy around but I’m sure it’s like riding a bike.

Any how talked to Adam last night and he said switching plugs pretty much got rid of the issue. I didn’t realize that before adding more ideas.

either way glad to see him on the road realizing that he can make the car go more than 50 mph ;)

redzula likes this.
  22. Wow. I'll admit that I've been in the camp that most all plugs are created equal, as long as the spark, it's all good. I'll have to remember that next time I run into an issue like this.

redzula and Thor1 like this.
  23. redzula

redzula

Been driving the car as much as I want. Man warm winters are nice.
    We've been getting groceries, taking the kids to school & daycare (man it's fun watching the other parents scrunch up their faces not know what they're looking at)
    PXL_20210131_003122679.jpeg

Even found a cruise in in Tuesday nights in Pantego, TX which is about a 40 min drive or so with traffic. And I've been able to meet some pretty cool local guys. A bunch of them are hamb guys but I don't know all their handles on here.

PXL_20210120_003829214.jpeg
    PXL_20210120_021109243.jpeg
    PXL_20210203_025119479.jpeg
    PXL_20210203_012929349.jpeg
    PXL_20210203_012909767.jpeg
    PXL_20210203_020526584.jpeg
    PXL_20210203_012702915.jpeg
    PXL_20210203_012649587.jpeg
    PXL_20210203_012325747.jpeg
    PXL_20210203_024047213.jpeg

As fun as it's been though it's time to move the car along to a new owner. I listed it on eBay and Facebook. And after a couple weeks and a bunch of bad trades. I finally had a guy offer a decently interesting trade offer and decided to take it. The guy is driving from basically LA next week for the trade which is 20 hours 1 way . And will be bringing this '55 Customline with him.

Screenshot_20210203-205331.jpeg

Plan is similar to the 47 and drive it while fixing and changing things here and there as I go. The difference being this one probably won't stay as long and the 47 did. However, it will be nice to have something different in the garage for a while.

Overall the '47 has been a fun car. I've learned a ton. Met a lot of new friends. It's taken a lot of late night, a lot of skinned knuckles, a lot of smiles, a few choice words, and best of all a lifetime full of great family memories. I'm definitely going to be sad to see it drive away. It's been a big part of the family the last 5 years.

In just over 5 years this car will have traveled from coast to coast moving from Long Island, NY to Des Moines, IA, to Ft Worth, TX, and now to LA. She's gets around I guess.

In the meantime though the work doesn't end. I need to remount the hood as the buyer wanted it to be secure for his trip home obviously. That will be this weekend's project.

-Adam

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Shadow Creek, Tim and Thor1 like this.
  24. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Adam,

Thanks for bringing us along for the ride - it's been a great trip. I look forward to you starting a new thread once you get the Customline and seeing where you go with that.

Steve

redzula likes this.
  25. Man! I need to get back out to the Burger Box one of these Tuesdays! I've been really busy lately and I crash early on week days. I'll be looking for the 55 instead of the 47!

Thor1 and redzula like this.
  26. redzula

redzula

Thanks for following along.

Come on out bud. I've been twice so far.

-Adam

Thor1 likes this.