Register now to get rid of these ads!

1947 Dodge 1Ton Spring help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas Highlander Motorsports, Aug 11, 2009.

1. I'm goin got look at the truck sometime soon and I've been told that it has a broken spring. So that I can get a price quote on the spring beforehand, can anyone tell me how many leaves are in the springs (front and Rear)?

Thanks.

Mike

2. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

If it's anything like modern 1 tons, the number of leaves is somewhat unpredictable because the decades of work mean the original spring packs are either long gone or modified for a specific useage.

If that was mine, I'd be tempted to get a quote on 2 new main leaves and reuse the rest of the leaves. But I'm cheap & cheesy that way :)

Good luck!

3. I agree, but I don't know yet which leaf is broken nor the loaction of the spring pack. The spring company was asking how many leave it has so that they could quote it. Maybe I'll just have them give me a quote for the main leaf....

4. 4woody

4woody

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Shoot, if it's not the main leaf that's broken......do you need the huge capacity??? Just pull the broken leaf and it's match on the other side. Yeah I know, it still doesn't answer your question :)

6. Actually, that was my thinking, too. I figure if I took out all but the main and maybe 1 other leaf, I can get it lowered some, too. I wouldn't be loading it up anyways.

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

If that thing is like my '47 one ton Diamond T pickup, the rear spring pack is more like something you'd see under a semi tractor. Seriously. Those things have like 10 leaves. If the main leaf isn't broken and the axle isn't dogtracking, you'd never be able to tell, unless you put your house on the back...

8. ssgkennedy

ssgkennedy

I have a pair of springs that lead me to believe they are 1 ton, and there are about 10 leafs, same overall dimensions as the 1/2 ton though.