Register now to get rid of these ads!

1947 Chevy steering box trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Comet, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Hi Guys, I've been searching the web for a diagram or rebuild manual for my '47 Fleetline's steering box. I'm also looking for part sources. Any help would be appreciated.
    Here's the problem, I finally got my car to her new home in my shop. I had her transported across the country. When I drove her, I nearly put her into the ditch, the steering was all over the place. She never drove like that before, so I assumed it was how they anchored her down during transport and did some damage (this was a very reputable transport co. by the way).
    Well, when I crawled under to get a better look, I noticed some clean metal (LOL, she needs some loving. BTW, this is the first time I've really gotten underneath her since I bought her. I bought her when I was oversees and only drove her a few times during leaves). That was on the bottom of the steering box. I had someone turn the wheels and could see the two bolts (I have the plate off that covers them now, but not when she was turning the wheel) moving all around. That was the problem.
    So I took off the plate and thought that maybe it just needed tightening. Well it's like two tie-rod ends that come through the box in the pics and they have gears on them. It's very dry in there, and needs a rebuild. So that is what I am looking for help on. Anyone out there got parts sources, diagrams, offers of help on what I need to do to rebuild it?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. Joe H

Joe H

3. Road Runner

Road Runner

The manual has a good drawing ....
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1942_47/4247csm301.htm

You need a pitman arm puller (parts store rental or buy one - under $20) and the 4 rubber bushings available at chevsofthe40s.

Easy to do, no tricks, pretty straight forward.
    If you have an oil leak and oil gets on the rubber bushings, you have to replace them more often.
    You need to pull the pitman arm, so you can clean all the oil off and have access to both sides for all 4 rubber bushings.

4. Great info road runner, thanks!
    I have a puller

5. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While I was hunting for them Roadrunner posted the info you need and Monkeyspunk79 found the same link for the bushings I did. It would probably easier if you pulled the pitman arm off and worked on it on the bench. The leaking oil and grease probably rotted the old bushings out over time. That was GM's way of taking a bit of the jolt out of the steering on those rigs.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011