Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1947 CHEVY 3600 BUILD THREAD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fafaniruzik, Jul 26, 2016.

1. fafaniruzik

fafaniruzik

Well I've been here long enough. Figured I should start documenting any and all progress of my truck.
    A 1947 chevrolet thriftmaster 3/4 ton

I'll start from the beginning.
    My wife's grandfather passed away a few years back and told her he wanted me to have his truck. Apparently his father "ol' boppy" bought it new back in 1947ish and they used it as a work Truck on their farm until 1988. From then on it just sat in a barn in western KS until present day.

Well a couple years went by as I didn't have the space to work on it. Just last year I moved to Orlando do for a new job and moved into a new house with a nice small garage.

I gave BenD a call and he delivered it safe and sound. Definitely a cool dude.

Unfortunately the 3600 was too long for my garage and so began my summer of working on a truck in the Florida sun in my driveway.

Engine was seized. So I did a little magic with a quite a bit of help from the great wizards here on the hamb and freed it up. Replaced the plugs. Fuel pump carb and fluids and it didn't even think twice to fire up.

Now it's off to upgrading the brakes since the drums are obsolete and hard to come by. Got a front axle from a 41 delivery truck which is compatible for a disc brake conv. And got a firebird rear end which should help with gearing and brakesystem as well.

Currently just saving up some cash to get new front lowering leafs and brake conversion for the front and rear axle flip kit for the rear. I'll start updating my progress and hangups on this thread.

Thanks for taking interest if your interested in seeing how fast I can burn cash.

1469584880989.jpg 1469584895077.jpg 1469584916255.jpg

First couple of pics are of the truck in its current state and the last is my current hangup. Busted oil filter line. Not the worst that could happen since they're 20 bucks.

302GMC likes this.
  2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

You are aware the rear of the frame on a 3600 is very different than the 3100 1/2 tons, so there are no
    bolt in rear axle kits, also the rear frame is flatter than the 3100 so you have very little clearance with
    a flip kit unless you c-notch. Truck looks like a grat start.

3. fafaniruzik

fafaniruzik

Yep. Very aware. Was hoping to not have to cut into the frame. But seems like I'm going to have to

As for the flip kit. I'm planning on ordering a kit for a 55 to 59 truck from cpp since they have the two inch wide spring perches. Should work out. Just gotta make sure it stays centered in the wheel well. Since it's a 3600 it shouldn't be an issue. Was trying to retain stock Springs in the rear to save cost.

4. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

the rear springs are super stiff, maybe remove a few for a better ride. are you keeping the half enclosed driveshaft setup?

5. fafaniruzik

fafaniruzik

Yep. Planning on retaining everything except brakes. Only reason I'd change anything is if its broken or unsafe. If I flip the axle would, would a simple notch suffice? Or would it require a full Circle notch.

6. fafaniruzik

fafaniruzik

C notch* sorry was doing this from my phone

7. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

I was going to step notch mine, but sold it before I lowered it.

8. fafaniruzik

fafaniruzik

Dang, i'd be curious to see how much travel i would need in order to pull off just flipping the axle and maybe only having a 2 inch notch and boxing out the frame. i'd rather not have to pull the bed apart at this moment to pull a full step notch. since im mainly working in my driveway.

how would a full step notch affect the bed of the truck?

9. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

mine was a flatbed with lots of room to spare, so not much help.

10. fafaniruzik

fafaniruzik

Update:
    Got a little free time after turkey day and had a buddy with a welder run by. Was able to get the firebird rear end in. It was a lot smaller than the original 3/4 ton rear. Made putting it in alot easier than taking out the original next step is the front discs and drive shaft. 1480108387586.jpg 1480108391964.jpg

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

This is how I did a friends 42 Chevy, stepped it up in the rear and used the trailing arm set up and X-member from a 1946 Olds 66. No suspension travel above springs. I added a 9" with coilovers and could have used the Olds rear crossmember for the OEM coilovers but this was what he wanted. You loose floor height in the bed but that was a compromise he made. PS Panhard bar was not yet installed but was to come later.
    12120018.jpg
    20130313_214031.jpg 20130519_163258.jpg 20140105_165323.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    fafaniruzik and 302GMC like this.
  12. fafaniruzik

fafaniruzik

[​IMG][​IMG]

Got a little further today. Both the front and rear axles are updated. Installed rotors on the fronts. (Still need to install calipers and brake lines) and got some new wheels for the truck. While I was at it is rebuilt all the steering joints.