Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1946 ford rear suspension help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Im working on putting together the rear suspension together on my 46 mercury project, and im having trouble with the rear track bar. Best i can figure is its an inch too short? Its pulling the rearend to the drivers side. You can see it by eye. I had another track bar and fit it up to the currently installed one, and its the same length. What am i missing? 20211127_231157.jpg

20211127_231209.jpg

2. F-head

F-head

Are you sure it won’t be the right length with the weight of the body on it ?

Hnstray, Tim and WalkerMD like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

That's what I was thinking.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Whats with the spring floating outside of the channel? I've only worked on one car with that frame and I remember that the spring only goes inside the crossmember like all other Fords with transverse springs. The panhard mounting points should be level with each other, the bar will be at its longest point of travel in the arc and should put everything back in place. You can see the mount points height difference is about the same as the thickness of the spring pack.

Edit: I guess I don't know enough, I looked at some pics of stock undercarriages and that crossmember is boxed in and it is sitting correctly in your pics. I guess you will need to wait until the suspension is fully loaded to see what happens.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Kiwi 4d likes this.

5. 42merc

42merc

You have the front bar mixed with the rear bar.