Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1946 Ford panel truck- what to offer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by td9323, Nov 19, 2021.

1. td9323

td9323

I have an opportunity to buy this and I love it but the elderly gentleman selling it insists I make an offer. I poked around online but don't see a lot to compare it to so I'm looking for some opinion. It's very solid, almost rust free, and complete. Even the wood floor in the back is solid. Flathead 6 cylinder hasn't run in twenty years but it is all there. Clear title too. TIA.

Attached Files:

Packrat, 41 GMC K-18 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

One of my cardinal rules is: "never price another mans inventory" I would insist that he put a number on it. And we can't possibly tell anything about it by that one small pic you posted

3. td9323

td9323

I only took a couple with my phone. I'll try to get some better stuff next week. IMG_7465.JPG

Packrat, 41 GMC K-18 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Offer him $100. Bet he puts a price on it really quick!

Slopok, 41 GMC K-18, 40FORDPU and 2 others like this.

5. I’m with Mark. I try everything I can to get the seller to set a price. Nice looking panel. I was just at a friends house getting hay bales today that has one too, although not near that solid.

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

$750. Low enough to be insulting, but not too insulting.

jaracer likes this.
  7. Start at half what you are willing to pay and move up from there. Once you give a number, then it is his turn. Is it the half ton, five bolt wheel model, or the 3/4 ton model?

8. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

in those cases I go really low and when they come back I say with humor -
    " well now we know what you won't take for it , so , what will you take for it ! "

LSGUN, R A Wrench, X38 and 4 others like this.
  9. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I hate when a seller won't throw out a price. If the guy is adamant about not offering a price I offer $1. Usually the seller will come back with, "it's worth a lot more than that!!" I come back with, "Well, then you know want more than $1, what are you thinking?"

X38 likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

I see a patch on the door, and what looks like a rust hole along the fender mounting bead. I'm betting there is a bunch more rust hidden in the spots you can't see. If you can't find those spots, take along a friend who is experienced with old cars to check it over.

Then, tell the seller "I can't buy the truck, AND sell it." If he won't come off his position, do as said above and offer a pittance. Then make a joke that it's now his turn to counter.

11. td9323

td9323

I know there's some rust in it, I've seen it. I live in eastern NC and everything I see out here is rusty. This old, usually really rusty but this truck isn't bad at all. I don't really want to spend more than 4-5K on another project. I'll be over there again early next week, see what I can do.

12. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was one here in Newkirk OK for sale for half the summer. It was rougher than that one and the seller was asking $3000 . It finally left town on a trailer. Don’t know if the seller got his asking price or not

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  13. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I would offer him $500 and then he has to respond. I would have the cash with me and tell him so. If it is not worth that to you then you should walk away.

14. Worth $2500 all day long in the condition presented - hell the tires are holding air - and it's not being dragged out of some pasture and full of crap !!!

But then you can low ball him and if he had a crusher near by - it would most likely be put in the crusher tomorrow - or he puts it back in the garage and after he dies the family calls the crusher guy !

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. spudshaft

spudshaft

The stuff on the side says something about “kars” so I assume he’s not totally naive. It also says Pennsylvania, which to me equals rust. Looks great though.

VANDENPLAS and tubman like this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe he knows you love it ( by reading your actions) and maybe is an old sly fox in a gentleman’s clothing .

hotrodjack33 and Hnstray like this.
  17. Leave him your number. Tell him to give you a call you when he figures out a price. Tell him you got enough stuff to sell. Don't need his too.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

I agree if it was for sale, but if the OP stopped in, etc and just asked “what would you take for it”? It would be on the OP to set a price.
    I know the “fear” in doing that. The owner might say “fine” and you walk away thinking you could have got it for less. But if the owner says “no way” then you probably know it out of your budget.
    I’ve had guys say “what will you take for that” I say make me an offer, it wasn’t up for sale.

19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In a situation like this I usually let the owner know I'm interested but I don't want to insult him with an offer since he must have some idea of what he wants. Usually they'll offer up a price and you can go from there.

WalkerMD, VANDENPLAS and rc57 like this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

In my situations like Bat's, I start at something goofy like $10. Either the seller laughs, or scoffs, but I've broken the ice and let him know that I'm a cheapskate. Then he can tell me what he really wants, and I can either counter again with a reasonable offer, or thank him for his time.

VANDENPLAS, guthriesmith and alanp561 like this.
  21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

A quick internet search found this
    Screenshot (250).png

I would ask him if he knows the history of the truck, was he connected with Klein Kars, is his name Klein, etc. It may be that he retired and moved to NC. Start a conversation. See what happens.

Hnstray, VANDENPLAS and guthriesmith like this.
  22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

More info
    Elizabeth Ann Klein 1931 - 2007

Ann Klein died in her sleep on March 31. She was born on May 20, 1931, in Lancaster, a daughter of J. Henry Fisher and Marian Hoover Fisher. She was raised in Lancaster. In 1951 she married the late William Klein, Jr., After her marriage she moved to Elizabethtown and became active in Klein Chocolate Company, now part of M&M Mars. Ann and her husband had an intense interest in old cars. They acquired a large collection and imported into the United States more than 40 Rolls-Royce and Bentley automobiles built between 1921 and 1954. A problem with the old cars was that the tires were worn and new tires of the sizes necessary were difficult to find. To meet that need, in 1968 Ann founded Universal Tire Company and started to manufacture tires in sizes for old cars. She also founded Klein Kars to service the old cars which were owned by Ann and her husband and by others. She continued to be active in Klein Kars until her death. In 1982, Ann developed ALS, a disease with a life expectancy of 4-5 years. She defied the odds and lived an active and productive life. One of her most important events every year was attending the annual Hershey flea market held each October by the Antique Automobile Club of America. She was a board member of the Lancaster YMCA and was an active and well known member of many car clubs including the Classic Car Club of America, the Silver Ghost Association, the Antique Automobile Club of America, including its Hershey Region where she was a Charter Member, the Bentley Drivers Club, the Vintage Sports Car Club of America, the Rolls-Royce Owners Club, which she served as Treasurer for many years, and the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts Club of Great Britain.

She is survived by a sister Kathryn, wife of Henry Dixon II, a niece Katharine Lea, wife of Walter Wheeler IV, a nephew Henry Dixon III, husband of Elena Isirova, a grandniece Emma Lea Wheeler, and a grandnephew Espen Thomas Wheeler.

23. Man, Duncan, you are quite the private investigator. :D

okiedokie and Hnstray like this.
  24. squirrel

squirrel

Since you love it, and aren't just looking to flip it, does it really matter what you pay for it? It's probably worth $3k-6k, so start at 3 and see what he says.

If you listen to the guys who say not to play his game, then you won't get it.

25. indyjps

indyjps

Consider the elderly gentleman may have a lot of spare time in his day and this is entertainment for him.
    Or maybe he's had the truck for years and just gets a kick outta Fn with everyone who asks to buy it. From his perspective it's sat there for years, what's a few more days.

Maybe just go shoot the breeze for a while.

Hnstray, greener200 and guthriesmith like this.
  26. finn

finn

I would probably start at around $1500, just to get the conversation moving. He will either rear back in disbelief and jump at the offer, or glare at you and say twenty thousand is what he was thinking.

Either way, the next move is his.

I wouldn’t make a really insulting offer like $100. That puts him on the defensive and makes him think you’re trying to take advantage of him, which you in fact are.

27. It wouldn't bother me in the least if he doesn't throw down a price. I'd just see that as an opportunity to go low. If he has a high number in mind and you pipe up with less than half that, believe me, he will begin giving you some clues. So come up with a number around the low side of 'fair', one that you would feel comfortable with as you're loading the truck on your trailer. It goes without saying, if a number makes your butt pucker, that's not your number. His reaction will tell you where to go next.
    Ask him if he's had it appraised and by who and when. Then immediately say, "Drinking buddies, relatives, and American Pickers don't count because they aren't impartial or based on reality, are they?" You can also say, "Are you wanting to compare my number with all your other offers? If that's so, how about telling me what their high number is so I can decide whether to stay in or fold now?" Chances are you are the only one stepping up but you might get him to break the ice.

28. What Squirrel says....
    You like it, it appears to be a solid base to work from, you have a vision for it. When you make your offer, explain that you base that offer on what your overall plan is (don't go into too much detail, he might be a dyed-in-the-wool restorer that hates hot rod hoodlums), and that you feel that's an appropriate price for raw material. Be prepared to go to your upper limit, and be respectful. If you can't get together on price, shake hands and part as friends.

Hnstray likes this.
  29. If I really had to have it, I would consider what it would take (time/money/effort) to get it in the condition that I'd be happy with, and base my best offer on that.
    A price would be exposed, hopefully one you both will deem fair.

30. I had met Ann Klein many years ago at the Rhinebeck flea market. She was selling Universal tires. We got talking and I mentioned Klein Bars. They were chocolate bars in green wrappers, and sold for 3 cents in the late 1940's / early 1950's. She told me that was her, and her husbands company.

Hamtown Al, guthriesmith and Budget36 like this.