Register now to get rid of these ads!

1946 Ford gauges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coryw, Jul 3, 2009.

1. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

This is my first post to tech week.
    My project is a 46 Ford and while a lot of what I am doing (including these gauges) isn't traditional maybe this will help some of you other 42-48 Ford owners out anyways.

In my project I wanted modern electronic gauges to match the engine I’m using but this project could just as easily be used to install a mechanical speedo or tach as well. My solution was to install a 5” speedometer into the original speedometer housing and to install a 5” tach into the original clock housing.

I don’t have pictures for all of the disassembly. The chrome bezel is crimped around the metal housing and sandwiches another piece of metal that shields the face and reflects the light back on the face at night. The mechanism is screwed to the back of the housing and comes out the front once you remove the crimps. In this picture I’ve already modified the shield portion of the speedometer gauge (you can see the clock one which is also modified in the background).

[​IMG]

After taking it all apart, the next step is to trim the housing out to allow the speedometer housing to fit through it. This hole can be oversized but you need to take care not to ruin the attachment brackets that hold the speedometer into the car. Here is a before and after shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I installed closed cell vinyl foam tape into the chrome bezel. This is the location where the new gauge comes in contact with the bezel. This should minimize scratches to the new gauge chrome bezel even though it is largely not visible when done.

[​IMG]

Placing the bezel face down I set the new speedometer into the bezel, making sure to keep it centered. Then I took the shield portion of the original speedometer and cut it so that it became a clamp holding the back side of the speedo. This picture is kinda hard to see but hopefully you get the idea.

[​IMG]

Next the housing gets installed back over the gauge and the chrome bezel is crimped back into place sandwiching the new gauge between the chrome bezel and the shield portion from the last step. This holds the gauge in place. After you are finished, the new gauge assembly will bolt into the dash just like the original speedometer did and depending on your gauge selection can look stock or custom. Either way it will end up looking clean. Here are completed pictures, front and back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the pictures you can probably tell that something is up with the speedometer. I purchased a custom speedometer and tach from marks914 here on the HAMB (newvintage gauges). The speedometer has built in turn and hi-beam indicators. I’m a long ways away from watching these as I drive down the road but I am extremely happy with the product he provided. I have some other plans for the remaining four gauges that involve disassembly of a SW quad gauge but that will have to come later.

2. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Glad to know that they fit. Looks like the were meant to live there.

Mark