Register now to get rid of these ads!

1946 Ford 1 1/2 Ton Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoronetRTguy, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I was looking around craigslist for a car or truck and I'm trying to decide on my next project. I come across a 1946 Ford 1 1/2 ton truck. I'm sitting here looking at it and the question pops into my head.

"What can I do with this and will it look right for a hot rod truck?"

So I'm here to ask you guys, what can I do to make this truck into a hot rod if anything?

I was watching My Classic Car season 16 eposide 26 with Chip Foose designed trucks. The one truck is just eye catching and I really like it. So that got me to thinking, what about a bigger truck and scaling it down.

This is a highlight of the show I watched. Its a 36 Hudson. I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nzyx6Mk4Ok

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. Normbc9

Normbc9

The cabs on all of that run of the Ford in a conventional cab were the same. An F-1 cab will fit on a F-6 but there are a few tweaks. If you get a chance look at the Ford version from Canada (mercury) truck and see just how different the grille makes it look.
    Normbc9

3. '46 pickups have never been at the top of the list for being good looking hot rod material but they are so darn homely they actually look cool!

Back in '07 Chris put together a great looking 46 pickup,,you don't have to change a lot to make a fun driver. HRP

[​IMG]

4. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks guys for the info and I love that pickup. That looks awesome!

This is what the truck looks like I'm talking about, just would like to know whta to do with it if I got it.

[​IMG]

So tell me what you would do and how you would do it.

Could I use the frame on it now and just shorten it? Or should I look for a different frame and maybe a modern truck frame to set it on?

5. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

I love those trucks. I've got a 50 chevy I'm working on now and a 50 ford I put together diligently over last winter. Not as many 47s lying around my area ... Or I'd own one. The truck can be way cool whether your building with parts you and your buddies have lying around or if you want to go "all out". I guess it depends on your motivation and as all things sum up to.... How deep are your pockets. But if it's got a flathead in there I would personally get it running... Jumps up 10 points on the cool scale for me

6. metalman

metalman

Looks like the 1 1/2 ton has bigger wheel openings in the front fenders like many trucks of that era, would mean finding a set of pickup fenders as well. Unless you wanted a big truck I'd pass and look for a regular pickup to start with, to much to change other wise. I imagine the frame could be shortened, ect but it's still big and heavy and would need different springs, axles, everything. Abought all you really can use is the cab, hood and grill (although in the pic they look preety nice shape, especially being back east, a + for sure). Leaves a lot to buy later!
    FWIW 42/47 Ford trucks were always considered the ugly one but there was one at B-J in Scottdale a couple weeks ago that I really liked, just had a good look to it. I guess I wasn't alone in my thinking, it sold for 85K! I'd never believed it but I was there, saw it happen.

7. jalopy45

jalopy45

Take a look around the Jalbar Fords in the HAMB social pages. You might get some ideas and see how Kool they really are.

8. jalopy45

jalopy45

The cab is identical to the 40-41 cabs except that it has a hole for the gas tank on the passenger side, so you can put the cab on a '40 chassis, or a 42-47 1/2 ton chassis or like I've considerng doing to one of mine is shortening the whelbase , installing a PU bed with widened fenders and make a big dually PU.

9. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

Yeah, the fender wells are larger on the 3/4 ton and up trucks. so putting a smaller wheel in it would look wierd. So you are already in for some fenders, then frame work to shorten it up, plus the frames on these are flat from the cab back, so it will be difficult to get the lower look to it.

If you want to go through the work thats fine, but if a 1/2 ton can be found to turn into a hotrod truck it would be best to get that. If you want this truck and want to do the work, go for it. It would be cool to see done!

10. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks guys, and thanks for all the answers and advice. That does give me something to look into and figure out.

I kind of like the two wheels in the back but not sure on what to do about the front wheels.

Bigger wheels in the front would make it tough to steer am I correct?

I would shorten the frame up if I could use it and put a small truck bed on it.

11. You don't see many of the jailbars with grilles as straight as the one on this truck. As far as I know the grilles are not reproduced. The underside of the door bottoms is usually rusted out on these trucks but patch panels are available. I have.found that cabs and doors from big trucks have less rust. Maybe it is because they are higher off the ground.

12. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

What are you wanting to do with this truck exactly?

13. screwy36

screwy36
    from Topeka, Ks

I looked at a '46 1 1/2 ton awhile back. I was thinking it would be a sweet hot rod hauler with a nice flatbed and late model running gear.... Good luck

14. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I would want to go with a modern motor and as much modern stuff as I could and then do some custom work inside the cab.

I wouldnt mind a hot rod hauler like the member above said that would look awesome, kind of like what you would have saw in the 60s for race cars.

If I shortened it would want a small bed on it... Man I would have to think more on it.

The guy is asking $1400 for it but I couldnt go that high right now. I went back to school first part of last year and I used a good chunk of my car money. I've been looking on the cheap knowing I will probly pay more in the long run in repairs and parts.

This just caught my eye from the grill to the cab is what caught me.

15. 55willys

55willys

Throw a flat bed on it and drive it!

16. Old Dog

Old Dog

I am looking at this 42 Ford and thinking on making a car hauler from it. It is a complete truck and stil used on a farm. The owner is retireing alot of his equipment and had this truck up for sale. I was think on using the drivetrain that is in it. Thoughts and feedback?

Attached Files:

17. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

That would be an awesome car hauler and it runs thats a big plus!

18. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

If you want some ideas of what
    could be done with a '47 Ford 1/12
    ton, you might want to check this
    build thread.

"1947 Ford 1.5 Ton 'Heavy'
    Turbo Diesel
    "

www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355535&highlight=6bt

It was started by a guy here on
    the list named 'Mike' in Minnesota.
    Unfortunately, when he was about
    3/4 of the way through the build
    and the truck was just starting to
    show what it was going to be like
    in it's finished form, his plans
    and priorities changed and he
    sold it, ending the thread. It was
    a shame that it ended too, because
    to my mind it was one of the best
    engineered and coolest "big truck"
    builds ever posted to the HAMB.

Mart3406
    ==============

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  19. jazz1

jazz1

Fellow up the street has been restoring one for 'bout 20 years..It was painted last fall now needs assembly. He installed nova clip, 302 2bbl, auto, power everything including the rear window and ac.,complete custom interior..maybe he'll bolt the fenders on this year...I like it,,,

20. carmuts

carmuts

I have a 47 1/2 ton frame if you decide to go that route. Long ways away from where you are at though. I sold the cab, front clip, engine and other parts and only used the column and transmission mount. Guy I bought the pickup from still has the title, but it is in his Dad's name and is yet to get it in a form that it could be tranfered. Rod

21. outlaw256

outlaw256

i have the exact truck here at home.we are gonna put a 460 with a c6 and go for a ride. plan on makeing it a car hauler.have the truck the engine and the trans but now i need the energy to do it!!!

22. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Would make a nice car hauler. With the bigger wheel openings, body on later chassi with 20" truck rims would look cool. Saw a 48 Chevy like that but using stock frame. I'd say next best thing to a COE..:cool::cool::cool:

23. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

The truck is still for sale, I just don't feel like dropping a $1000.00 on it. It does have a flat head V8 in it and trans. I thought if I bought it taking the motor and trans for a T bucket I would like to build and then tuck this away for a later date.

I just don't know where to put this thing lol if I put it behind my house the city will see it and I'm sure I will have problems.

I would like the body and to also cut the frame down on it and lower the truck and do something crazy with it.

24. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a thing for Big Ass Trucks so my vote is keep it as a big truck with dual rear wheels. 19.5 Dodge motor home wheels are a direct bolt on and look good in the wheel openings - I've got them on all 3 of my '40 1 1/2 tonners. Whatever you do don't try and put a MII front end under it. Put a flatbed on it and use it for a shop truck or maybe make it into a rod hauler. JMO.

25. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

2X Amen!!:cool::cool::cool:

26. Diavolo

Diavolo

I'm 3 weeks from starting mine. A 55 F600. 176" wheelbase. I have a 92 F350 that I am taking the axles out of and moving the rear up to 130". Just going to drill holes for mounting the hangers for the springs and mostly likely use a Chevy C30 pitman arm to keep the push pull steering and redirect it to cross steer. Keeping it on the original frame to keep from having to "create" all the extra brackets I would need. If I had a same year half ton frame I would have just swapped frames but I want to be able to use this as a 1 ton dually and maybe pull a 5th wheel or a toy hauler. I don't need a car hauler and I want to actually use my truck most of the time.

27. jazz1

jazz1

fellow up the road been working on this truck for 20 years,,,last year it got painted,,this year he may finish the planks in the bed,,also needs the weather stripping so he told me today he'd have it on the road next year,,,so,,it's a 46 ford, 302 with auto transmission, power windows,aftermarket a/c, custom interior, nova clip,runs and drives well,,real nice truck

[​IMG]

28. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Build it as a big truck. It doesn't have to be fast to be fun. I have a 56 f-600 that's fun as hell to drive.

29. csouther

csouther
    from salt lake

I have a 46 Ford 1.5 ton that is complete I am starting to move forward on. I will have the full frame, suspension, engine, trans, etc... available for sale. Basically all I am keeping is the cab. Anyone interested?

Attached Files:

30. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

Photo's and info much appreciated from fellow Hammers. I said I would never do it again but I was at a friends house about two weeks ago and noticed something covered under a tarp, When I went to check it out it was a 51 F-100 pickup in a million pieces. It got the juices going again however and I purchased it. It is about 10 degrees out and snow on the ground but my friend has agreed to hold it to Spring for me so will not be any update until then although I am starting to gather some of the parts I need. My wife is very supportive but she thought I had lost my mind to drive at 5 AM to NJ just to pick up a seat. Got Lost near the GW bridge but thank God I had my GPS with me. The info and shots show here are great and it will help me in going forward on the project Mercuryguy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.