Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1946 Chevy: In Early California Custom Styling

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1951Streamliner, Sep 21, 2012.

1. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Its really hard because I dont have anybody to help me out by looking at the angle of the drill. Ill have to weld up these 1/2 inch holes and try again! haha.. Has anybody put appletons on these 40s chevies for reference?

Thanks Jeff, I cant wait to get it in all one color sealer primer and put on the Goodyear Supercushions. Once I get those things done (and the appletons) i'll just be able to drive it for a while without having to work on it too much. Kind of like you did with your red 'primer'.. I dont want to take the time and wear myself out for final paint yet.

2. Ya my sweet red primer that is on top of my black primer.:) :)

3. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Mine will be black sealer primer :eek:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  4. I have tried to mount my appletons twice on my truck and failed. Welding up holes is fun. Still trying to figure out a better way. Good luck with yours.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Hopefully I can get it. This car will look "rad" with the Appletons.

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

7. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Thanks for that link.

It looks like the main thing I'm missing is the drill jig.

Does anybody know where to get these? Anybody have one that they used that they could send me, and I could send back?

8. You should of heard all the shit I caught when my car was at a shop for a VERY time and a fuckin rat got in my car and ate part of the piping around my Rolls R.... carpet.I pretty much lost it and went nuts.Anyway....my oldtimer friends were calling it a true RatRod after that.It was pretty funny and made a bad situation a little easier at the time.

Sorry man....I didn't know you didn't have anyone helping you with the drilling.They really are a pain in the ass to put in but look so good on the right cars.

9. If you know someone with a lathe they are super easy to make.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Damn! I had a bunny rabbit eat my spark plug wires once.. does that make mine a "rabbit rod"?

I dont have enough connections I'm slowly finding out.

11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The first time I drilled for the spots, I had a old set of original factory spotlights (Guide) I ended up selling them because I needed the money. So the second set I bought was Unity (brand new) and it had a bushing for the drill guide. Maybe you can find a bushing like the kind they used on shocks or something similar that will fit the spotlight mount and use that for a guide. Even if the drilled hole is just a smaller then it needs to be , you can use a rat tail file and enlarge the hole just enough so the shaft goes in. I had to do that myself even after I used the drill guide so the hole is not perfectly round but slightly oval.

12. JAWS

JAWS

This is how I would do it. 1/2" wooden dowel, position spotlight braket so the dowel "aims" it where you want it inside so as not to hit the dash or gauges.

Measure twice, cut once.

13. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

It seems like I'm more prone to measure once, drill 6 un-needed holes. :rolleyes:

14. Easier said than done.

15. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Hopefully tomorrow I can get it.

My good friend is going to help me start pounding out dents and smoothing out the car so I can get it in sealer primer for now.

I'll do the final block sanding and whatnot before I paint it. Just dont want to burn myself out already.

16. poorboy

poorboy

I love the look of your ride. Can't wait to see the finished product!

17. radio_king

radio_king

Another early kustom in the works!!Just found your thread,I can`t believe I`ve missed it til now.Congrats,what a sweet Chevy.Glad you are able to cruise it between mods.I`ll definately be following this build.

18. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Thanks! I really enjoyed your build thread.
    I went back to look through it again and noticed all of your pictures were gone!

Hopefully later today I will have an update with Appletons installed :(

19. Skirv

Skirv

20. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Thanks Skirv!

I accidentally broke my fuel gauge last night trying to clean them up, does anybody have any extra one laying around?

21. JAWS

JAWS

I may back in my stash...

22. This worked well for aligning them on the outside for me but it didn't really help with getting the handle in the right place on the inside which is where I and I think Streamliner are having the issues. Not sure about his car but on my truck I literally have about 1/4" of wiggle room where the handle has to go on the inside so rough placements don't work.

I think if he could get a drilling guide to use with the patterns he would be golden.

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

51, on page 11, post 208 (your post) the last photo shows the spotlight mount mounted onto the "A" pillar which appears to be upside down. So I double check my spotlight holes and one of the 2 screw holes is spaced further apart from the large center hole and one screw hole is spaced closer. Well the hole that's further from the large center hole should be at the bottom not the top as shown in your photo.

24. Good point. Do you have left and right mounting brackets? Sometimes when buying lights one at a time you get two of the same brackets. If you have two the same you need the opposite bracket. Fyi the ones that come with cheap dummy spots work with appletons. That's how I got my two.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

25. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Ah! That may be my problem.
    I did have two with the same mounts, but luckily I had some dummy spots laying around and figured out to use their bases since theyre exactly the same as the real ones.

Right now my car is getting the tires balanced for my trip to San Fransisco on Halloween, but when it gets back I'll have to check it out.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  26. Very nice work.............sat here in the wee early hours from page one and i'm subscribed :)

27. JAWS

JAWS

28. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Hey y'all... sorry for the lack of updates. I've just been focusing on my music and whatnot, so the car has just been serving me well as a daily driver. Hopefully body work will start soon!

Here's a couple pictures I've snapped over the past weeks..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres' some coverage of the snowy journey across the Sierra Nevada Mountains..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then when I reached my destination...

[​IMG]

Here's the tires waiting to go on.. almost 4" of white

[​IMG]

Here's where it stands as of today. Changes hopefully soon..

[​IMG]

29. swissmike

swissmike

710-15s are some pretty beefy tires! Are expecting any problems getting the wheels on and off in the rear?
    Very nice car btw. Great taste...

30. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

This tire, when mounted, should only be about an inch taller than what's on there, plus they're skinnier. So I dont think I should have any problems.

Thanks!