Register now to get rid of these ads!

1946 Chevy 1.5 ton front clip installation diagram?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Tango88, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Tango88

Tango88

Howdy all...finally getting close to re-assembling this beast. Does anyone here know if there is a diagram, artwork, directions, whatever that shows how the whole front clip should go back together? Including the grill parts maybe?

Thanx

2. Tango88

Tango88

Duh...that would be for a 1946 Chevy truck front end. 1-1/2 ton in my case.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  3. Just gonna have to start assembling
    Core support and inner fenders first
    I have built 1
    Didn’t have instructions

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Any pics other than your avatar of what your workin on?
    Sounds interesting.

5. Tango88

Tango88

Hoping to find at least a diagram of the whole front clip. Think a couple of parts may have gotten lost in a move but not sure yet.

Here are a coupla more pix of this project. It has a rebuilt Cummins 4BTAA (turbo-diesel), Allison six-speed, dual OD tranny, Dana 80 rear axle and hydroboost brakes with disks all around. Converting into a micro RV.

[​IMG]
    How I found it...in Utah.

[​IMG]
    With the Cummins & Ally in. Had to replace all the side sheet metal.

[​IMG]
    New radiator/CAC package.

[​IMG]
    All new glass & gaskets.

[​IMG]

Just finished stripping a half dozen coats of latex house paint and put some fresh enamel on the roof.

Seven years into this build and still have a ways to go. But finally getting closer.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not finding anything such as a factory service manual or assembly manual.

7. Tango88

Tango88

Me either. You'd think that a truck made from '41 to '47-1/2 would have some kind of body parts info out there somewhere.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I had a bunch of these old "Chevrolet Master Parts Manuals" they all start with the six cylinders in 1929. they came out every year and had the previous years as well, this illustration came out of a 1929 to 1953 issue that I have here at my desk. this is a 1941 passenger car... I would bet your paycheck that there is an illustration like this of every front sheet metal assembly out there. these books were for parts people, they didn't need a picture of every year. I had the 1942 manual that I am pretty sure had a truck front end in it... they may be online somewhere. Chevs of the 40's may be able to help ??

IMG_7168.JPG

9. Tango88

Tango88

That is exactly what I need...many thanks. I will do another search for "Chevrolet Master Parts Manuals".
    I'd swear I have seen such a critter for my year somewhere before. Just haven't been able to find it again.

10. Have a friend that has a couple of those 1.5 ton trucks plus an extra front clip from a bus.
    Could send a pic of what area you think a part is missing
    He also has a mint rechromed front bumper.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  11. Tango88

Tango88

Just beginning to pull stuff together so no idea what (if anything) might have fallen into a black hole. Meanwhile I might be interested in the front clip. Any way to contact him, maybe get some pix?

12. I will be at his place on Tuesday
    Can get info back to then possibly

13. AACD7918-99F1-48AA-BAB6-E9F612FAFF44.jpeg

Here is a pic of what’s left of the bus clip
    No grill. Still has the rad support
    He may have a few more pieces in the barn.
    The chrome bumper is still avalible.
    Can get a pic if your interested

14. plan9

plan9

Thanks for the diagram @49ratfink, cant say I recall seeing it before...

15. Tango88

Tango88

Thanks Anthony. Don't see anything I need there. Was considering a hood and/or the side panels but can likely work with what I have.

16. He may have some hood stuff. Will check

17. Tango88

Tango88

Spent some money on a six-volume CD that supposedly has all the part numbers for every Chevy from 1929 to 1961 along with lots of drawing & diagrams but still no luck. One exploded view of the grill parts and that was it. Oh well.