Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1946, 47 & 48 Ford grills

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Snegrah, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Y'all made me a professional in distinguishing the difference between 33 & 34 Ford grills. Can you help me tell the differences between 46-48 Ford grills?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. '47-48 Ford grills are identical, only the '46 is different. At that, the differences are minor; the '46 die-cast 'eyebrows' have three vertical lines cast-in on each side and the main grill stainless trim has a recess with a pinstripe along their lower edge. IIRC, the vertical lines and pinstripes are red from the factory, although this detail is generally only seen on restored cars.

3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

And the marker lights are above the grille on a '46 and are rectangular whereas the '47-48 they are round and below the headlights. Google search for images of the specific years.

4. OK, I never saw this detail before and will now stay with me.

Thanks

5. I've really got to put an eye on this and study the differences.

Thanks

6. The vertical lines on the '46 die-cast pieces will be obvious, and both these and the '47-48 pieces are being reproduced. The '46 stainless grill bars are much less obvious (particularly if the pinstriping is gone) but are not being reproduced, only the '47-48 versions are. Another difference is the '46 car had 'ribbed' headlight trim, the '47/48 was smooth.

The breaks between model years is a bit muddy on these. Ford sold leftover '46s as '47s before the 'true' '47s came out, and the early '47s carried over the '46 style bumper overriders before switching to the '47/48 style. Each year had unique beltline/fender trim; the '46 had a 'U' shape with ribbing inside the U, the '47 was teardrop shaped, the '48 has a 'V' shape. It's not easy to tell the difference between the '47/48 trim at a glance but it will be obvious if mixed. Only the '48 trim is being reproduced.

Snegrah likes this.
  7. The grill is slightly different with the stripes, the hood badge, light placement, bumpers and bumper guards are different too.

1946:
    [​IMG]

1947/48:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    jnaki likes this.
  8. And there you have it!

Thanks

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I thought the center Ford emblem was different as well; vertical lines for the ‘46, horizontal for the ‘47-‘48

10. You are correct.