Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1946 47 48 Ford car firewall brake mount ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by millersgarage, Jan 30, 2022.

1. millersgarage

millersgarage

does anyone make a mount specifically to move the master cylinder from under the floor, to a firewall hanging pedal style?

Or do I have to just use a generic pedal mount?

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the brake and clutch pedal set up from an 87 Camaro on my 47 Ford. I cut the area where it was mounted out of the Camaro and welded it into the firewall on the 47. Even used some of the Camaro bracing rods if I remember correctly. Allowed me to bolt the stock Chevy stuff right into place. Don't know if that would work for you or not?

alanp561 likes this.
  3. millersgarage

millersgarage

my firewall is done and painted, so hoping to not cut and weld. I am ok with drilling a few holes

4. Mimilan

Mimilan

Use Wilwood reverse swing [cantilever] style pedals and mount the MC' s inboard. [and run the plumbing down inside the kick panels ]
    You can even use MC's with remote reservoirs ,and mount the reservoirs anywhere [higher than the MC's]
    upload_2022-1-31_13-16-56.png

upload_2022-1-31_13-15-47.png

We built a few Formula racecars with the pedals/MC's lower than the calipers. We simply mounted the Reservoirs up behind the driver's shoulders on a bracket attached to the roll hoop.

No check/residual valves were used or needed. And it was easy to bleed

Just Gary likes this.

5. I have some sort of GM brake pedal and booster assembly in mine(stuff I had in the garage at the time). Was concerned about firewall flex, so put a reinforcing plate on the interior side. I broke the edges of the plate 90* to stiffen it up quite a bit. The pedal assembly bolted through it to the booster. If you made it quite a bit larger in area, you could bolt it along the perimeter, to avoid welding on the painted firewall.

6. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I haven’t measured it out before, but I would try using one of Ford’s early swing pedals from an early 50’s car. The pedal length, curve, position would likely be ideal.