Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1942 to 1948 Ford Chassis any differences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by andydodge, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Can anyone advise if there are any differences in the frame/chassis specs between 1942 and 1946/47/48 Ford cars, ie......are the frame measurements........lengths, diagonals etc the same from 1942 to 1948.........a mate is working on a 1947 Ford chassis for a friend and we are having trouble finding a frame diagram of a 46-48 Ford that has measurements however whilst Wescotts has a pic with dimensions of a 1942 Ford car frame that will help......or do you know of a pic orf a 46-48 frame with the dimensions indicated on it...........many thanks..........Andy Douglas

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's a 46. Make sure front and rear measurements are correct and then check diagonals for squareness. Pick corresponding reference points and done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    46 Ford Frame.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    Outback likes this.
  3. Stumpy thanks but we have that pic, problem is that there is no triangulation or diagonal measurements in that pic and its for a 1942........which I am pretty sure is the same as a 46-48 frame..........I'd like some agreement re 42-48 sameness...........lol.......seriously tho' thanks for contributing.......andyd

4. Anyone else?.........are 42-48 Ford frames the same?...............andyd

5. Yes, they're all the same except as noted above. All diagonal measurements are for is to verify that the frame is 'square'; what the actual measurement is doesn't matter which is why none are given. As long as you get the same measurements at opposite diagonals, it's good. Everything you need to know is in the above drawing. Keep in mind that you may find minor variations of up to 1/8", as long as you don't find too many it'll be fine.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also, measure the front and rear extension dimensions that are right above the wheelbase on the picture.
    Those are rail partly outside of the main boxed length and so can be out of shape if car has been hit at either end even if main center area is fine. Mine had a little distortion needing correction in the right rear area after a Falcon died on the rear bumper.
    There are variations that don't matter for alignment purposes...holes for tubular shock mounts appeared during 1946, and there are at least two or three variants in how the X is fabricated, but none of that stuff affects mounting things or actual alignment.

7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

They are the same with reference to what you are asking.

X38 likes this.
  8. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I know this is an old one, but I'm trying to compare the kick up on a 35-40 chassis & a 42-48,
    From what I can gather, the 42-8 has around 12"s of kick up (from the line of the bottom of the chassis rail - the lowest point - to the underneath side of the kick up) & the 35-40 is around 10"?