Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1942-48 Electronic Distributor Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldbanger71, Oct 21, 2017.

1. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Hi guy's, i'm about to change some things for the better on my Engine.
    Does somebody have expiriance with the :
    " Pro Billet Aluminium Distributor for 1939 - 48 Ford Flathead "
    Speedway is selling this under the number 9108352.
    Please let me know what you think of this distibutor.
    It's for my 1942-48 Ford Flathead, currentley with a tree-carb offy intake with tree 97 carbs and the middle one blocked, so only two in use. For street-use, tree carbs are to much, but i'm not happy with the 2 carbs and one blocked solution.
    My plan is to change to either eddy meyer dual intake or Offy dual intake.
    At the same time i want to change to electronic distributor.
    Best regards Oldbanger71

Attached Files:

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

6v or 12v ? ... buddy had a 6v but it would not start when hot... something about amperage... he converted the car to 12v...

Truck64 likes this.
  3. Check with Bubba first for reliable info.

4. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

@ sloppy jalopies , It's a 12 v

@ Texas Webb, sorry, i'm new in this fied, who is Bubba ?

5. Bubbas Ignition - he can put a Pertronix II in that crab distributor of yours and it will run great. Have one in my avatar for years. If you go the Speedway route, still send it to Bubbas to be checked out. Either way, you will be glad you did .

6. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Hi TomT, Thanks for your explanation and directing me to Bubba. Unfortunatley i live in Switzerland, which is not just arround the corner, to have Bubba check my crab and rebuild it with a pertronix II. That's why i asked for people who have first hand experiance with it.... I guess it's cheaper to just order one and trie it out.
    Happy motoring to all , Oldbanger71

7. I would order one and have it go to Jim Linder then have him send it to you.

8. Grab a Pertronix 12V neg gnd, and install it yourself, its super easy and runs like a champ. Make sure you have the right coil, its a no brainer.

Mines still running like......a Swiss watch :)

9. Sorry bout that but Rat Bastard has it right. It is not difficult to install and will run fine. Bubba's just makes sure your distributor is set for best performance. When you install it be sure to run a ballast resistor, an RU4 is what I use, an old Chrysler until I believe, as some of the Pertronix units will allow too much voltage to the coil causing Ignition issues.

10. uncle-scary

uncle-scary

I have a crab distributor on a '27 T I just bought. Has the pertronix with a flame thrower coil. Backfires when I rev the engine from idle and runs rough most of the time. Pertronix tech said ck the grounds and make sure it has 8 volts or higher cranking with the neg of the coil grounded. I checked and everything is correct. It sounds like it could be jumping fire in the cap. Is this possible and would using a resistor cut down the secondary voltage from the coil? It is showing 8.3 volts now when checked like the tech told me.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.