Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

1941 Plymouth P12 auxiliary seat coupe

Discussion in 'Cars For Sale' started by JP53, May 5, 2019.

1. JP53

JP53

City: Southold

State: New York
    Price: 12500
    City: Southold
    State: New York
    Price: $12,500 USD
    Selling my 1941 Plymouth P12 Special Deluxe auxiliary seat coupe. This was a running driving original car when I got it and had been completely disassembled for restoration. I have ALL parts for reassembly with the only exception of one small 1” x 3” rectangular piece of ivory that is a decorative accent on the door panel. All fasteners and clips were bagged and labeled. Any pieces of trim or emblems that weren’t up to par have been repurchased as well. I have many extra parts for this car. My intent was to bring it back to original and then make mild modifications to make it look like it was hot rodded in the early sixties. This is why I opted for a small block Chevy engine. Details on the engine are below. I also kept a manual transmission but opted for a brand new Tremec TKO 600 with a Luke hydraulic clutch. To increase driveability and reliability I did a front disc brake conversion and installed a Ford 8.8 rear end with positraction, 3.55 gears and disc brakes. As can be seen in the pictures, I tucked the new power brake master cylinder and booster with a custom bracket and linkage inside the frame rails and they attach to the original brake pedal.

After some repairs, the body is 100% rust free and very straight. The doors are in perfect original condition. All fenders, the hood, and trunk lid have been blasted, straightened as needed, and sealed in primer. Repairs have been made to the floor so that it retains the original configuration. Both rockers have been replaced, as has a small section on either side in front of the fender. All of this can be seen in the pictures.

The chassis was striped and painted with Bullet chassis paint. You’ll notice where I made alterations to accommodate the Ford Explorer leaf springs with roller shackles, the new transmission, and the new engine. The entire front end is rebuilt with new parts as well.

Although I still have the original well running engine and transmission, I opted to build a 327 Chevy for this classic hot rod build. It has a 4 bolt main block, Keith Black pistons, Edelbrock E-Tec aluminum heads, and high rise dual plane intake manifold, Lunati roller cam, Comp Cams aluminum roller rockers, MSD ignition(which I was going to hide under the dash), and all new accessories. It hasn’t been run on a dyno, but the machinest estimated the horsepower to be a little over 400hp. The block has been line bored at .020” over size. All internal AND external parts have been individually and dynamically balanced, INCLUDING the clutch. Compression ratio is 10:1 so that it can run on pump gas.

Here is a link to a video of this engine running. Note, I didn’t have header gaskets on it during this run. If you listen closely, you can here that. Also, as mentioned in the notes of the video, some parts used during this video were only temporary and have been replaced since. This engine literally has about 10 minutes run time on it.

Look closely at the pictures, there was much more work done than can be mentioned. I also have many parts that haven’t been mentioned that will be included.

The car is so close to finished, but my circumstances won’t allow me to do so. All the hard work is done. Basically it’s down to running the included stainless brake lines, hooking up the hydraulic clutch lines, minor electrical, and paint and interior. OR if someone wishes to make it original again it could be done that way too. I will consider breaking this car up, but the body, chassis and original drivetrain would have have to sell before the current drivetrain.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2019