Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 Fords! Stand up and be counted!! Put your pics here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Norrland, Apr 11, 2008.

2. Janne

Janne

Here is design I made from my own car, it's 1947 BTW.

Attached Files:

3. Chad s

Chad s

Yea, thats the one I was speaking of, and its beautiful. Janne, are you currently building this?

4. Janne

Janne

I have ´47 Club Coupe and there is already ht side windows, but top looks awful. I'm probaply making it convertible. Hamber Gringo is building something similar like my rendering.

5. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

I found some hard-top chopped 41's....[​IMG]....I just grabbed these off the internet when I was studying chops ....[​IMG]....and one more....[​IMG]...Here's a couple more pix....I'm sorry about the poor lighting....[​IMG].....I just threw them in because hard-top chops are so rare in 41's, it's all I could find...[​IMG].....

6. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

My buddy Gearheadforever used most of the roof off a 41 to 48 Ford to hard-top chop his 40 Merc.....[​IMG]....here's another shot...[​IMG]....

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1941 is the last year of car that dose something for me, you know that gut feeling when you look at a car and its all sorts of right.
    Paucho, your cars is about perfect. Lady's and gents it doesn't get any better than that!
    Doc.

8. Chad s

Chad s

wow, very cool.

9. Rikster

Rikster

TinWolf photo...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. phat rat

phat rat

That's a Winfield car, done way back when. It now belongs to a guy here in Mi. who brought it back to life. It's also the one that the Hot Wheels 41 sled copied. THe car is actually purple not blue as the pics show it. Quite a few of the parts used to resurrect it came from me.

11. Chad s

Chad s

Yea, its a beauty. I'd remove the lakes pipes, as its a bit off for the era the rest of the car fits, but other than that, I think they pulled the hard top look off wonderfully. A hardtopped car doesnt look right util its finished, with the glass channel and all complete, without it, it just looks sloppy and half ass.

12. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

....Doc...Thanks for the compliment !....I feel the same about 41's....Everybody has different ideas on the chops on these cars....some say the short door coupes don't look good chopped....I seems to be a very personal taste thing.....I have a real teenage love affair with mine.....I have a tender moment every time I open the garage door....Another thing is, the car is very roomy and comfortable....There's a nice greasy feeling I get driving along looking out through those mail slot windows.... (IMHO) there have been many custom trends in the last 50 years, but the early style customs have stood the test of time and haven't gone out of favor.....These cars are just a pleasure to own and drive.......

13. classicfins

classicfins

sweeeeet!!

14. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

THIS, is why I like '41's. As much as the sleds catch my eye, and there are some AWESOME examples on here (Rik and Janne, etc...) but I've always loved raked out 60's hot rodded '41's.

Oh, and Chris, SWEET backwards burnout!!

15. phat rat

phat rat

Doesn't fit the era? That's the way it was built then. So how does it not fit the era?

16. Chad s

Chad s

Well, most fat fendered for customs were built in the late 40's and early 50's, so I assumed it was earlier. Lakes pipes came a bit better. I guess being a Winfield build, its a bit later than that, maybe mid 50's?

IMO, the car would look better without them.

Have you seen any pics of the car from the 1950's?

17. thesupersized

thesupersized

18. phat rat

phat rat

I saw pics a long time ago and don't remember the all details. He was building it to what it was back when it was built. Not thinking it was right for it's era is one of the problems with trying to fit things into a specific time frame. Especially when the people doing it are going only from what they've read or seen in books/magazines, or told by what are sometimes real bs'ers, not personal experience. Such as people younger than 60 trying to tell others exactly what the car scene was like in the 40's and 50's

19. Here's one we are working now................
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Sharp looking coupe!

Sorry for a dumb question,, is this business coup or a standard coup (long doors).
    Looking forwards for more picks!!

21. Chad s

Chad s

no ones trying to tell anyone what it was like. I wasnt there, but I think I have done my research in regard to building my car to a late 40's style pretty damn well. I think referencing research/writings from guys like Pat Ganahl, and having guys like Herb Ogden (who really was there!) assist on a period build, etc, all add up to a pretty accurate representation of the period Im after.

Now I havnt done a lot of research on Winfield, his style is just a bit different than I generally am into, but I think most of his major work started in the mid 50's, certainly making the lakes pipes a possible original feature, but my heart will always be in the late 40's-early 50's Barris, Ayala, Westerguard, Bertolucci, etc style, where the addition of lakes pipes would have been counter productive to the style of car they built.

22. Chad s

Chad s

Very nice. I saw your firewall in the background of a pic on another thread. I guess the 41 firewalls were much more crisp than the 46-48's, as the bead work on mine isnt nearly as nice as yours. Way to not overchop! The chop looks great, a very hard one to pull off successfully.

Are the skirts glass or steel? Where did you find them?

23. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

I just bought this convertible a week ago. I'm still in the process of trying to determine how I want to build it. Can anyone give me any insight on chopping a convertible top? Say 1.5-2"? The 41's are a unique breed.

Attached Files:

24. Chad s

Chad s

You could do a carson top, or sell it to me for my next project, this is exactly what Im looking for!

25. smoknhot

smoknhot

here's my creation!

Attached Files:

26. phat rat

phat rat

Chad, I certainly agree with you on the early Barris stuff along with the Westergard, Ayala etc style. Sometimes the style, small things like lake pipes, is regional which also screws up the time frame of a certain look.

CTfuzz, very nice chop

Flatred53, that's a business cpe

27. Chad s

Chad s

I agree 100% with the regional part. It seems the builders I like most, and the era they built in, were on the west coast, but I also dont think the assumption that all east coast cars were adorned with doo-dads and bulky accessories is 100% true either.

28. You've GOT to be kidding!

29. CTfuzz,how much did you chop it?