Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Ford Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Looks good Dan.....

2. Thanks everyone.

Too add more to the story (as if it isn't long enough :)), the old owner was a midget racer/team owner/publisher and there were 3 restored midgets (1979 and newer) in the shop. I got to hear some great stories, met some really nice folks, got a tour of the shop and have an invite to stop by again. He had some old train windows in the bed of the truck, I preceded to tell him about a really cool place I went to that they have working vintage trains you can ride in, they do restorations there plus they let you actually touch stuff and his answer was "The Orange Empire Railway Museum, I volunteer there". He said that he had the frame powder coated (not sure if the suspension, steering and rearend are painted or powder coated but everything is still pretty shiny)......except where the brake fluid leaked from the master and killed the powder coating on the frame.

The story was he found this one in a field next to a muffler shop in San Jose, it was running and the body was straight. He bought it (he wanted one since he was 15, when his Dad wouldn't let him buy his neighbors), turned in the rental car and proceeded to drive it home (Orange County area). He took it to his friend's shop (Art Chrisman), Art told him NOT to drive it because it was a POS. Much work later it looked like it is now, he had a person who painted his Midgets paint the truck. This place (and truck) were 10 minutes from my house and I didn't even know it.....never would have as I don't follow midget racing.

More to follow........

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    bigheadbaxter likes this.
  3. studebaker46

studebaker46

perfect I would have been all over that,now make all of the local garage sales for the 60s 8track tapes. TOM

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I would Give my left nut for that.
    Ryan will shit.
    Time to sell the old beater Ryan.

5. 5w30

5w30
    from oregon

Nice PU if the engine has been sitting that long you really need to spin the oil pump to build pressure up before you turn over or start.

6. Wow. That was ten minutes from your house and it took a Hamber from Canada needing parts picked up.
    Pretty cool story and an every cooler 41. I love it.

7. Squablow

Squablow

Great looking truck, don't know if I've ever seen '40 Deluxe tail lights on a pickup before but it's genius and looks great that way. I don't even mind the 8 track player. It almost looks like it has a newer aluminum radiator in it though, or is it just that dusty? Hope she runs sweet!

8. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Your right, you better stop.

How about I take it off your hands for a few sessions on the couch?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. brady1929

brady1929

10. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Hey Dan you know my garage is empty

11. Your correct, I found my oil primer tool last night, going to head back over there soon and I'm bringing the camera. The battery is under the bed, the hole/box barely fits the group 42 (VW) battery so I hope the dimensions are the same in today's standards.

When did Atlas stop being a battery seller?.

I thought it was too when I looked at it, I had limited time to look it over so I glanced at it. The next time I went over to his shop I looked closer and it looks to be a custom made unpainted brass radiator that has tarnished and it looks to be great quality too, but then a trans cooler was zip tied though it :(......a bracket will be made for a different trans cooler.

Hey Scott, your being an enabler :D. Plus I'll have to sell a kidney to get anything else. I thought you got something else after the '34.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Squablow likes this.
  12. Hunting/ordering hydraulic parts, digging up my f100 brake parts, replacing fuel hose and bending up new lines so there isn't so much rubber. It has a copper fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump, so I left a short piece of rubber hose (FI rated hose) between the tank line and the copper line and then from the copper line to the fuel pump. Took the front brakes off and did some grinding

All the grey area on the frame is water/dirt spotting, when you wipe it off it's still gloss black. Everything facing up on the frame/suspension is dusty in the pic, but there is some surface rust starting on the bottom of the front axle and steering.
    underside-1.jpg
    Stock brakes:
    brakes-1.jpg
    F100 ready:
    brakes-2.jpg
    Here's a few shots of the radiator:
    radiator-1.jpg radiator-2.jpg

The bed battery is set-up for an old group 42 battery and is TIGHT, but they grew since then....so I hope a group 96 will fit. I don't want to go to a golf cart/ lawn battery.
    bed battery-1.jpg

Hamtown Al and kiwijeff like this.
  13. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I would have bought it also. Great truck.

14. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Great find! If you have the cash, save as many vehicles as you can! Your going to drive 'em, so keep on buying!

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

You are going to rock that truck with the Craig 8-Track. (I think I had one of those in a ratty Chevy LUV in 1984.)

This has to be the first tape you play in that truck while cruising down the road:
    [​IMG]

Chavezk21 and Asphalt Angel like this.
  16. the-rodster

the-rodster

WOW!

You know, some people spend YEARS looking for a nice solid 40-41.

And you just....,,,,, oh, nevermind :)

Rich

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. Trust me, I know I was LUCKY. It's one of those things I read about but would have never happened to me. Hoping to get all the brake parts tomorrow or at least most of them. I have a day and a half to do more work, then I'm gone for a week...so hopefully I'll have way more progress to report the following weekend.

18. Between Brite Boy for the chrome and Meguiars for the paint it should turn out ok. Oh yea I forgot to post that when it was rolling up on the tow truck I got a better look underneath, everything I said about components it has was correct except it has a aluminum Powerglide not a TH350........either one is good though.

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Forget Ryan, I HATE YOU! ;);) What a great score. Swap meets around here always have 8 track tapes to sell. Props to you ya lucky bastid. And I say that with all due reverence. :cool:

1great40 likes this.
  20. Very nice truck you found. I also like the taillights in the fenders. Can't go wrong with a SBC/PG/55-64 rearend. That's basically what I had in my old 37 Chevy pickup, except a T350. Daily driver for about 3 years. Still miss that truck. Glad you found that one and bringing it back to driver status.

21. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

You deserve it, that truck went to the right home, Congrats

22. Damn that's a great truck...

23. Killer truck.

Leave the 8 track in it...

24. Don't laugh but this is the only 8 track I have left from when I was a kid.
    :D:D:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  25. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

Aside from the tail lights, the other mod that is unique is the gas filler door instead of the factory hole with the filler neck sticking out.

26. verde742

verde742

because IT IS they are split and attached to the frame, used to be done..

27. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Yep.Ryan is gonna be looking for you big time.Time to duck and cover when you see him coming:rolleyes::p.Nice score.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo