Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 Ford Pickup Seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cruisinthe34, Nov 24, 2012.

1. I'm moving to working on the interior of my '41 and would like to consider seat replacement. I have read of some folks using Third row take out seats from Mini Vans and SUVs so would like to hear input on that.

I need access under the seat within the seat riser for my battery box and wiring panel, so that throws a little twitch in things too.

Will be interested to hear input...

Attached Files:

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Mine has the stock seat, and it is designed specifically to torture the occupants.

I think any proficient upholstery guy should be able to build cushions on that seat riser. A thin seat back with lumbar support, and decent thigh support should make your truck comfortable to drive.

3. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

I put a mini van seat in my '46 ford pickup. If I wouldn't have sold I was going to change to something else. It was uncomfortable to me. I could barely make a hour drive. I am 6'2" so that might have been part of the problem. Other than that it fit well. I am not sure how you would get access to the things below it.

4. mj40's

mj40's

I used an S-10 pickup seat in mine. I had to narrow the frame at the front corners of the seat to clear the door panels but only about 3/4" on each side. You could build the front mounts to hinge the whole seat forward for access. I did that in my coupe passenger side bucket and latched it with a bear claw system. Worked well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

5. I did basically the same thing you are doing with my '32 pickup but I made my seat with plywood and hi density foam. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MJ40 - I really like the idea you used with the S-10 seat and bear claw latch. Did you separate the seat back from the base or are they already separate ? Would like to see a shot of the completed seat, I'll check your project thread. Thanks

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

When I got my truck the battery was under the seat and I really hated that.
    I put it back on the firewall where God and Henry Ford intended.

Ever tried to jumpstart in the rain with the battery under the seat?
    I have driven my truck every day for 17 years, if yours is a weekend toy, it may not matter

8. I have the battery under the seat in both my '41 truck and my '34 Sedan. In both cases I have run battery post extensions and mounted them under the running boards. For ME it works for easier access than even under the hood, cleans up the engine compartment etc. The truck is to be my daily driver.

9. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

My friend built a 40 pickup and used a Glide Engineering seat. It was not cheap but really comfortable and the bottom of the seat folded up. I drove the truck from Oklahoma City to Springfield MO and was really comfortable. The back is cut down, which adds alot more room in the cab.

10. Gator

Gator

Another cut-to-fit S10 seat in my '40...

[​IMG]

11. mj40's

mj40's

Sorry but that was in my 40 coupe passenger side bucket, not the pickup. I was just saying it could be done. I made a frame that hinged at the front. The seat bolted to that.
    [​IMG]

12. Mount it on hinged tracks like they use in full size Ramcharger and I think Blazer on the passenger side. The whole seat tilts forward for rear access. Either have the whole seat tilt forward, or tilt the back ahead and have it tilt towards the back of the cab.

13. Looks Good Gator !!.... I'm looking into that idea !

14. MJ40
    I actually have a front hinge on the original seat bottom. I most interested/concerned with the seat back. Couple of suggestions have mentioned Glide Engineering, but if I can make it work with an S10 takeout, I'll look that way.

15. Here's a cut to fit Ford Ranger seat in my 40. I will be removing it to recover it once the snow arrives, until then it gets driven everyday.

Attached Files:

16. Here's a couple pics of a 93 Suburban 3rd seat in a 40 p-up I rebuilt and sold a few years back .... the 93 and 94 seats had a nice old school look to them. I just left it as it was since the upholstery was good - had a 56 T-bird look to it and only $60. Pretty comfy too!

Attached Files:

17. FlattyV8 - That looks great. I've still got to have access underneath. I'm sorta lean toward a Glide seat, but I'm stil exploring these other options if I can figur a way to hinge a third row take out of bucket seats.

18. It's been a while, but last Sunday I finally bolted my new Glide Engineering frame and White leather seat into the '41 [​IMG]