Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 Ford Pickup Overhead Console

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cruisinthe34, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Interested to hear any better solutions. I drive my cars a lot to various functions up and down the east coast and typically travel with 1 to 5 or 6 other cars so we run CB radios. I am crafting an overhead console in my '41 Pickup and am interested in how others may have done theirs.

I have a LeBaron Bonney Interior kit including the headliner. I can tuck the forward edge of a small console box into the metal scallop above the windshield, I have drilled two holes through the headliner on the open interior edge of the console box, screwed these two wood screws into a block of wood above the headliner to hold the box flush with the headliner. Now, the problem is the weight of the CB and box screwed through the headliner causes the headliner to sag more than I like. My plan now is to shape a piece of 1 1/2 to 2 inch flat steel 1/8" and install it sort of like a crown across the headliner from the top of each door sill. I know my method will work, just would like to know how others have handled overhead consoles in these trucks.

2. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive only owned a few old trucks but none had any kinda overhead console. to me they just dont look right.seemed to be made more for 70s vans than classic trucks.i have made some really good lookin ones for between the buckets or the 2 that still had benchseats i made a under the seat compartment for them.

3. Thanks outlaw, I already have the stereo under the seat and a small floor console built for fan and light switches etc.

I believe I have solved my delimma, I just ordered a sheet of 2' x 4' 1/16" ABS plastic and I plan to rivet the console through the headliner to the ABS plastic and arch the ABS to conform to the roof shape from the top of the windshield to the top of the rear window.

Besides.....the whole '70s are kind of a blur :)

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

let's see some pics please

5. 40Standard.... I will post probably this weekend, I had to order the ABS

6. Paul B

Paul B

I bought a overhead console for a golf cart put in my Dodge pickup. it tucked up tight to the headliner ,couldnt' be seen from the outside.

7. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

40 headliner.JPG
    I had a friend vacuum form this from AC material.

8. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio