Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1941 ford guage hook up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1941 streetrod, Nov 29, 2014.

1. 1941 streetrod

1941 streetrod
    from wisconsin

Hi
    I am wondering if anyone has had experince with hooking up the stock ford gauges to a late model motor and trans. I have a 383 chevy with a turbo 350 trans. right now the motor/trans has VDO sending units and I would like to use the original guage cluster that was 6V pos. ground. The car is now 12V negative ground . Can I use the VDO sending units or do I need to use the original ford unit. How will this work with the voltage change and ground reversal? I know I will have to install a voltage reducer and change the dash light bulbs but not sure about the rest. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Joe

2. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

http://www.antiqueinstrument.com/

These guys have done work for me in the past. They do mostly restoration but they can modify the gauges. They made the OE 55 Ford temp gauge work with the 95 lincoln sending unit that is in my motor. Doesn't hurt to call.

I used a 59 Ford instrument cluster voltage reducer in my 55. Ran 12 volt to the reducer, then ran reducer to the "hot" side of the gauges. So, what was originally ran to the "-" terminal of the 6v battery is now to the reduced "+" of the 12v battery. VDO I am guessing runs a different resistance so you will have to have your factory gauges modified for the new senders.

3. 55Brodie

55Brodie

I assume you are speaking of the temperature gauge. Ford used the King-Sealey type gauge well into the 50's and aftermarket senders will not be compatible. Just plumb in your original temp sender, reduce voltage to the gauges to 6 volts. You do not need to worry about polarity (except if you have an ammeter). If your original temp sender has gone awol, just purchase one for a 55 Ford.

4. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

In my case, with the 55, just the temp. 41 Ford runs electric oil pressure and coolant temp gauges. I am assuming he is running electric VDO sending units for both oil/temp gauges. Wolfe was able to modify my gauge to work with the 95 Lincoln Mark VIII sender. For me this worked better.

5. fordor41

fordor41

Find a 70-80's ford truck. Get the gauges and senders. Install the gauge internals in your '41 housings, hook up to the new senders and you're good to go. The newer gauge internals will fit into the '41 housings exactly. I did mine years ago for about $5 from a junk yard.