Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Chevy Sedan Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, May 8, 2011.

1. burger

burger
    from burbs

I haven't purchased a radiator yet, but my plan is to buy an aluminum one off eBay and spray it with black radiator paint from Eastwood. A buddy has used Champion brand radiators from eBay with good results, so I will probably use them as well.

What transmission crossmember are you using?

2. burger

burger
    from burbs

Btw, I haven't worked on my Chevy in about six years. Along the way a '68 GTO 4-speed convertible fell into my lap and I've focused on that instead. It's been off the road since '84 and needed everything. Last winter I put together a hairy 455 and have spent the summer working out the kinks and doing burnouts.

3. Voh

Voh

My transmission crossmember is the stock one, that I cut out and built a bolt in section for. Once i pull the body i place to tidy it up a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Voh

Voh

I bet that 455 is wicked! I tried to buy a 1969 firebird in high school with a 455, but Dad wouldn’t let me. “Too much motor for the car” he said. LoL

5. burger

burger
    from burbs

I may have been better off hacking up the stock crossmember. I bought a nice looking CNC fabricated one from a HAMBer, but he's since stopped making them. It's hella stout, but I haven't been able to get the brake pedal arm to line up with the factory holes in the floorboard. No rust so I'd hate to cut them up! I think it might be the cheap eBay brake booster and bracket kit though. One thing that I've learned about these Chevs is that Chassis Engineering makes the best upgrade parts. They're a little more pricey, but they fit and work, so you get what you pay for. I bought the CE parts to replace the eBay crap, but haven't installed them yet. Maybe this winter.

The 455 in my GTO is absurd. I've mostly lived a life of mild small blocks and cruisers, so this is new to me. The car gets sideways at will and even rolling down the road in first or second you need to be ginger with the gas pedal lest you accidentally get the rear end happy. Brutal is a good word to describe it. Sounds better than anything I've ever owned. Fwiw, factory heads ported by Butler Performance, roller cam to Butler spec, forged pistons, fancy rods, aftermarket crank, full roller rockers, the whole bit.

6. Voh

Voh

My wife is a big fan of the nova family. ‘68 in particular, so i keep an eye out. Some day we will have a big motor car. LoL.

7. Voh

Voh

Well, after some time i finally decided on a radiator for the '41. I wanted one that had some resemblance of the original, so i used a stamped top style. couple custom brackets and its in the car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shadow Creek likes this.
  8. burger

burger
    from burbs

Are you planning to paint the radiator black?

9. Voh

Voh

Yes. That should help it blend in a little more.

10. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek
    from Summit, TX

Any details on the radiator manufacturer? I have a 39 and am in the market for a radiator and I really like the looks of that one

11. Voh

Voh

It’s a Griffin radiator, universal, that i found on eBay. I believe it’s a 16”x26” size. Like $285, made in the USA.

Shadow Creek likes this.
  12. Voh

Voh

So I have been making some slow progress on the ‘41. The most noticeable is welding on and patching up the rear fenders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shadow Creek likes this.
  13. Voh

Voh

Last night i was able to form the passenger side fender skirt. Made the hammer forms this weekend. Did a practice piece and had to soften the radius on the one edge, but turned out well i think. It’s just shaped, not yet fitted to the fender profile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TFoch and Shadow Creek like this.
  14. Voh

Voh

Got the flange shaped to the body and the fender opening enlarged. No turning back now.
    IMG_9467[1].JPG

TFoch and Shadow Creek like this.
  15. Voh

Voh

My ‘41 didn’t have any parking lights when i got it. I watched for some for quite a while with no luck. After looking at different cars a the shows, I decided on those from late 40’s fords. Thoughts?

IMG_9594.JPG

IMG_9594.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

TFoch likes this.
  16. the mustang II front end would be the better choice, if you plan on driving that around & putting some serious miles on it. That idler arm (center link) wears out so fast, i've rebuilt hundreds of them. They also require pressing, reaming, & lots of bench work. Not to mention, mustang II part can still be had at most local auto parts stores

17. Voh

Voh

@abonecollector - I ended up with the mustang II setup. Used the chassis engineering crossmember and setup.

18. 6inarow

6inarow

No on the Ford parking lights. the stock ones are a nice looking feature in the 41 IMO

19. Voh

Voh

After a number of years, I finally pulled the trigger on the wheels for the sedan. I opted for the US Wheel, Deuce style. The rears are 15x6 and the fronts are 16x4.5. The plan is for Firestone 820-15 on the rear and Firestone 650-16 on the front. will also be running the '41 caps on the fronts. IMG_0004[1].JPG IMG_0005[1].JPG

TFoch likes this.
  20. Voh

Voh

Tires got here yesterday!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6inarow and TFoch like this.
  21. Can't wait to see the look of it sitting on the ground!

22. Voh

Voh

I picked up the wheels from powder coat on Friday! Very happy with the turnout. IMG_0482[1].JPG

Uribe likes this.
  23. Voh

Voh

I was able to get the tires mounted up last week and tested them on the car friday. the rear works, the fronts are too big. Now I have a pair of tires forsale.
    IMG_0632[1].JPG IMG_0630[1].JPG IMG_0631[1].JPG