Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 chevy coupe rear end swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by monkeyboy71, Aug 8, 2013.

1. monkeyboy71

monkeyboy71
    from Phoenix

I am building a simple and dirty 41. I would like to replace the original rear end with a newer model 6 lug so I can keep the original wheels. Anyone done this? What measurement am I looking to match? Is that hub to hub? Thanks for any insight

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I did this and used a rear end from a 2008 Colorado 2wd. I only had to cut out the original spring perches and weld in new ones in proper location. Works like a charm with the Camaro T5 s speed tranny and a hot little Chevy 292 I6.

Paul

3. tri 5 chevy rears bolt in, 68-74 novas work but need new saddles

4. Are you still running the 6 with standard (torque tube ) transmission?
    If so, You'll have to convert the output shaft to take a universal joint( open drive).

5. Normbc9

Normbc9

I used a '94 S-10 rear axle assembly (3:42) and the drive line with a T-5 against a 292 inline six and the whole enchilada is doing its job well. There are many versions of the T-5. Go to "www.inliners.org" and then to Tech Tips. Look at the T-5 section. The variety of tranny gears is impressive.
    Normbc9

6. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

might want to look into a 60's truck axle. If I remember correctly l, that was what I used on mine years ago.

7. monkeyboy71

monkeyboy71
    from Phoenix

Thanks all. Good info.

I have a 283 and turbo 350 combo to drop in. So I will be getting a new drive shaft to link it all up.

The measurements, roughly, are 56 inches from the inside hubs. The hubs are 3 inches deep. And there is 50 inches from the outside of the frame to the outside of the frame.

So I should be ok with anything that is 54-56 inches.

I guy I know who has a 1985 K5 Blazer rear end with 373 gears so I'm going to measure that up and see if it will work.

I also know a yard with a handful of the rear ends you guys mentioned so I'll get out there and check in on those as well.

Looking under the car this morning - after I pulled the fuel tank - I'm thinking I will need to mount a shock bar, too.

8. supercab78

supercab78

Better check the wheel hole spacing on the late model six lug rearends. They may be metric and not match up to your old rims.