Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 Chevy 350 swap (1947 and 1948 same?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roadtriprod, Feb 13, 2012.

1. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

I have a very nice survivor 1941 chevy. I dont want to cut the firewall. I am looking for any advice on what to look in to or is there a nice reasonable bolt or weld in kit out there? Thanks.
    It will be backed by a turbo 350 and nova rear.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Shouldn't be a problem as hundreds if not thousands of SBCs have found a home under 41-48 Chevrolet passenger car hoods.

3. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Chassis Engineering in Aimes, Iowa has what you want. With their kits you can add a M II suspension, small block Chevy, TH 350 trans, and upgrade the brakes. All bolt in. Good stuff too. However I like the Posie's rear spring kit a bit better for the rear end install.
    These are MY opinions, your milage may vary. Read the fine print.

4. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

5. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

The only beef I have with chevs of the 40's is you cant ask a technical question. No tech dept.........

6. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

How do your rear springs ride? I was told the Chassis Engineering springs were a rough ride.

7. Just did this swap with losquire - looks factory.

Rat

8. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Rode in a friend's car years back with the CE rear kit and it was a mite rough. I've done two now with the Posie's spring kit, and I've been happy enough with the results. Got a 48 Fleetline Aerosedan thats waiting it's turn and it will either get the Posie's springs or air ride, ain't decided yet. But I do like the CE parts except for the rear end install kit.

9. Freemoe

Freemoe
    from Fowler, CA

I have a set of SBC bolt on engine mounts from C.E. that came with the car. Issue is the car came with a Mustang II suspension and those mounts are for original suspension only. Waiting for correct set to arrive. Don't believe the firewall should be an issue yet the body is off the frame at the moment.

10. chubbie

chubbie

I put a 327 in my '41 in the '70's saws all out the trans mount mock up the engine and trans and weld up the mounts and build a trans mount from angle iron. week end project! the trans cover won't fit:mad: speed way has a good brake/master set up. I used '57 chevy rear springs(and '57 rear end) I followed a magazine how to article. i was just a kid and it walked me thru the whole swap! I think it was a Rod and Custom

the distributor will fit in the firewall like it was made for a V8. exaust will be to tight on the steering column. but it works

11. project 41

project 41
    from colorado

i have a 350 and 4 speed in mine chasis engineering motor mounts stock crossmember with chasis engineering plate on the crossmember will eork for the 4 speed or 350 turbo all bolt in and works great. have a dana 44 rear with stock springs and chasis engineering rear shock kit works great i am currently running the original front suspension but want to install a stock straight axle from a 39 or 40 chevy car as soon as i can find one

12. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

will the 39 or 40 chevy car straight axle fit without too much modification?

13. cooger

cooger

Probably, but with that heavy car you probably won't be happy. I have a 40 with a homebrew Pinto frontend. You should really consider the Must. 2 conversion.
    cooger

14. JAWS

JAWS

Heavy? My 46 weighs 3160 with the sbc, mII and 10 bolt rear.

15. cooger

cooger

I stand by my statement. He won't be happy. My 40 is around 31-3200 also. Full a/c, p/s, p/b, 700r4, etc. IFS is the way to fly.
    cooger

16. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

Thanks for the input. MII it is........ 70 nova rear......

17. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

I found a 40 with the heidts complete set up wit CE rear new in box. Ordered what wont work for $100 and Im set

18. srvblues

srvblues

what did you guys do with the steering box on your 41 with a 350 in it

19. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I put the CE front cross member in my 48 chevy and the CE rear spring kit. My rear rides like a pickup so as per CE advice I removed the 2nd leaf from the bottom and it helped a lot except for big bumps. The only thing that I still don't like, is the extra long a arms of JW Garage are still not long enough so the front wheels have to be spaced out futher with very little back spacing or spacers. I love the bolt in front adjustable cross member as most of the weld in cross members make the car to low for me. The front sway bar is not a shoe in so I found the rear is good enough. I did get the front installed but it took some work and a lot of sending parts back and forth as there are two different lengths of sway bars. I would go with the guys who say Posie's have a good rear setup. My two cents, I hope it helps and good luck