Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 Buick 3-speed (for 248" straight 8) - Interchange or parts info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt Six, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Curt Six

Curt Six

I've got a '41 Buick Super with the smaller 248" straight 8. I'm having problems with the 3-speed. We knocked it apart and had a local shop with a good reputation for their work on these antique manual transmissions go through it. We got it in this weekend and are still having problems. Does anyone know if those transmissions interchange with anything? Or know of a good source for parts (or a complete transmission)? We're going to knock this one back apart and see where we went wrong, but I'd like to track down another trans or at least whatever spare parts I can find as a back-up (or an alternative if this mystery problem persists).
    Thanks.
    Curt

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have had a few of these Buicks........two currently, and they both have bad trannies. The smaller engine models, (Special and Super) used the 5 bolt top cover trans and in my opinion and experience, they are weak transmissions. Thats the bad news. The good news is, they were also used in Pontiac and Oldsmobile models during the same period Buick used them ......'39 thru about '55 or so. The Pontiac and Olds are open driveline, unlike the Buick torque tube, but the rest of the box is the same.

The 6 bolt top cover was also used by BOP, on the larger engine models. They are the same design, but physically larger and much more durable. They will not swap out one for the other......UNLESS the 320 engine bellhousing will fit the 248 engine, and I have not yet explored that possibility.

So, you have a couple of choices........find the spare parts you need to fix yours....either as NOS spare parts or a better used gearbox to use for parts or replace yours entirely. The other option....the one I am choosing..is to buy an adapter for Chev style belhousing pattern and flywheel and use a later GM trans, either stick or automatic (www.transmissionadapters.com) . It also requires installing an open drive rear axle, so it is neither quick, easy or inexpensive.

I love the old Buicks.........just have crappy trans and rear ends. By the way, are you SURE it is your tranny that is at fault for whatever noise you hear. These cars have an unusual double row ball pinion bearing setup and they aren't so hot either.

My '40 Super is howling from both ends of the driveline and my '41 Special is similarly afflicted.

Ray

3. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

Check your linkage too. I have a 51 special, came with a bad tranny. Weak design, I wouldn't attempt to spin a tire on the Ice after seeing in the tranny. Pretty simple design, you should be able to look inside and see whats going on. If its a noisy first gear your wondering about, you can't fix that, just part of the beast within. Good luck