Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940's period correct hot rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by erlomd, Nov 28, 2009.

1. 777

from Pasadena

From Fran Hernandez's Facebook page.
    The first photo is 1939. Notice no cooling fan and an Edelbrock Slingshot.

The second is Fran in his letterman jacket not sure if it was earlier or later since the roadster isn't together yet and the steering column has not been plated yet either as in the first picture. Even though the Offy heads and I think Offy intake pre-date the use of him with a Slingshot: the wiring looms have me thrown off. I hadn't seen any aftermarket looms until post war with the exception on the Miller Indy V8.

The third is at El Mirage, they would put the water melons in the water tank to keep them cool. Left to right Fran Hernandez, Dick Pierson, Don Towle, Chuck Essayan

Sadly Fran passed away January 5th of this year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

There's another Thread for that.......and You're in it! keep the customs over there please, unless they hold or held a speed record

3. MadJack68

MadJack68

Barris roadster pic heisted from your vid was run at the lakes.
    [​IMG]
    Carson topped custom may or may not have run at the lakes but it's there and at least has dual exhaust.
    [​IMG]

4. Ever get beat by a 'custom'?

5. Bite your tongue! Bob Pierson's '36 coupe turned 121 mph at Bonneville in 1950.

And it also served as a tow car for their '34 coupe!

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Pierson Brothers</td></tr></table>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it will be here:
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  6. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

[/QUOTE]

Vintagehotrods, your right on your assesment of the Pierson '36. But I think your a little off on the speed. I believe it was actually 140.40 MPH at the June 1950 meet. Thats all the more reason to include the car here !

7. The two Pierson coupes need to be reunited out on the Dry Lakes!

8. Bubba, my info is that Bob Pierson's chopped 1934 Ford 3W coupe set the 142-mph Rusetta Timing Association record and was for a while known as the fastest closed car in America! It was the first coupe that beat the roadsters. Although I can't seem to find it now the info with the first pic of the 1936 3W said it did 121 mph at the 1950 Bonneville Speedweek. One of my most treasured memories is spending an afternoon with Bob Pierson during the 2001 Bonneville Speedweek listening to his fascinating stories of what was happening back in those days. Its a shame he's gone now.

Here's a couple more pics of his '36.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Pierson Brothers</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

No,...............Because I was driving it.

[​IMG]

10. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

Here are a few pictures of the Wentworth/Sidebothem 32 Ford Roadster. Built in the late 1940s. It survives in near original condition. The family of the original builder recently purchased the car. This is how it looks currently. It is on display at the California Auto Museum in Sacramento. There is a special exhibit called "Dropped and Chopped" with period hot rods and customs on display. It will be there for viewing until March 27th.

Attached Files:

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

Karl & Veda,....
    [​IMG]

12. Stone

Stone

This thread is HAMB gold. I have been trying to learn more about the 1940s. Culture etc... Thanks for helping me to understand.

13. erlomd

erlomd

1940's hot rods are minimalism at its best! these pictures are truly amazing! now can we have some more, please!

14. Creature13

Creature13

I really dig that '27.... alll of these for that matter

15. Stone

Stone

Just a quick question. I see alot of roadsters and modifieds. I understand the dry lakes racing. But I'm from the east and really like the east coast look. Was anyone building coupes or versions of east coast hot rods in the 40s?

16. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

yes, but they were afraid to be seen in public, so there are no photo's

17. 296ardun

296ardun

..just saw this debate...HG, keep on posting!! Lots of the track roadsters were former street cars (look at the bodywork, the holes where the '39 taillights used to be, etc.)....and some guys ran their street roadsters on the dirt tracks and then drove them back home........these are great shots

18. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Just kiddin, don't get the weapons out.
    East coast style usually kept the tall roofs, which were not very good for dry lakes or salt flat style racing.

19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

[​IMG] this is my version of a '30s/'40s cruiser ........... steve

20. TMoney

TMoney

That thing is so bitchin!!!

21. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

That's a grouse looking Jigger! :)

22. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

It wasn't about minimalism. It was about go over show. If it didn't make it faster, there was a chance is would end up trashed.
    They're bare bones because they were built for speed, not looks.

23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

That's a grouse looking Jigger!
    not knowing what that means , good start on the roadster ............. steve

[​IMG]

24. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Man thats cool...Very nice

25. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Grouse is I believe a victorian term for 'Kool', hot, nice, awesome, certainly a term of endeerment! jigger - jalopy, but doesn't only refer to hot rods, refers to somthing that is simple usually used in a positive manner!

It's all good! :)

g

26. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Buried for almost 2 months?!?!

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

One of the all time best threads on the HAMB !

[​IMG]