Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940's period correct hot rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by erlomd, Nov 28, 2009.

1. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

you guys are talking about 2 different songs "hot rod race" -Johnny Bond, refers to the 12 cylinder car and hot rod lincoln is the lincoln v8 which could have well been a Y-block. Now. there was no rockabilly in the 40s so I declare this converation O/T

Let's all check out Logan Davis' Roadster @ the GNRS that's period correct for the post.

2. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

when I posted about 40s rat rod I meant the roadster withe two gals sitting on it.

3. Lucky77

Lucky77

There, the body is on its chassis now. I think it fits right in with the other 40's hot rods.

Attached Files:

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

I can add more to the story. Charlies car did have a shortened Lincoln Zephyr frame and it did have a flathead V12. He changed the lyrics in the song several times. Charlie worked in Northern Idaho and played in a band at local road houses. The original lyrics were not "Grapevine Hill" but instead it was "Fourth of July Canyon" in Idaho. They werent going to San Pedro either. One of Charlies friends in the music business advised him to change the location of the song to Southern California if he wanted to sell any records. In older versions he sings about "it has 12 cylinders and uses them all." He revised the song several times. He had me look at the engine when he bought some parts from me at a car show and it did have a flathead Lincoln V 12 and it was painted Ford green. Even though I am a Chevrolet inline six man I can tell what a flathead V 12 is.

5. [​IMG]
    Bullshit, everybody knows hot rods weren't that low back then!:rolleyes:
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. I love this photo as well, I hate to think the red head is either dead now, or really old...
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

7. MadJack68

MadJack68

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvuoJlCDLxg
    Hot Rod Race- Arkie Shibley 1950
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MS9fk1u6kA&feature=related
    Hot Rod Lincoln -Charlie Ryan c.1954

From Rod & Custom -Veda Orr roadster?
    [​IMG]

8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the red head is either dead now, or really old...

yes , but so are we ! .................. steve

Stogy likes this.
  9. Tank

Tank

Ok, I'll share. Its late '40s but "40s none the less. Its the Walker Morrison roadster after "restoration". A beautiful roadster.

Attached Files:

10. Tank

Tank

Forgot the engine Pics.

Attached Files:

11. OLLIN

OLLIN

This picture is a trip for me. I grew up in this neighborhood, just down the street and went to college 2 blocks away from there. This location is a Pizzahut now. You would never even know that it was the Orr's shop, some of the earliest hottrodding pioneers..

12. Rikster

Rikster

These where posted on a Model Car website... thought they would be enjoyed more here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy, hotrd32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

That shot of Orr's shop is very cool, wish there were more. Hard to tell whats in the window. thanks

14. Here is my Orr favorite's that were in a Tony Thacker article "The Fastest '32 Fords From The Early Days of Racing" in the February 2009 Rod & Custom last year.

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com...ords_from_the_early_days_of_racing/index.html

Apparently at their house with the roadster flat towing Karl's modified
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From The Fastest '32 Fords</td></tr></table>
    That's Karl's modified sitting in the showroom window on the left side (sorry for the repeat photo)
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From The Fastest '32 Fords</td></tr></table>
    Here's Veda in the family roadster
    Veda showing off the roadster with new paint to go oval track racing in 1946

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  15. -Brent-

-Brent-

It's been said in this thread, previously, but the content in this thread is better than most books. This weekend I'm saving the content onto an external hard drive. There are so many little details that I've gotten for my own build(s).

In my opinion, THIS IS a top ten HAMB thread.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

vintagehotrods
    THANKS. 100% KILLER. Like BRENT JUST SAID! Slim

Stogy likes this.
  17. Lowlife

Lowlife
    from MO. USA

I apologize in advance if these have been posted,I can't keep up with this place anymore.Found them on someone's blog recently.

Attached Files:

18. OLLIN

OLLIN

I used to know an old WWII vet that was born and raised in SM,. He had a cool 49 chevy conv. with shaved handles and trunk that he did way back.

I remember he was telling me how he bought a model a 5 window for $50 after the war. He was also telling me that all the local hotrodders used to hang out at the gas station on 20th and Pico, just a block from the Orr's shop.

Stogy likes this.
  19. creams

creams

many thanks for those realy realy cool pictures CREAMS

Stogy likes this.
  20. erlomd

erlomd

21. Hopped-Up

Hopped-Up
    BANNED
    from Berlin

Jimmy, these pics are GREAT!
    where did you find them?

22. Dusters swe

Dusters swe
    from Sweden

Its time to put some more photos to this tread :)

23. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The trim of the front fenders are similar to the ones Dean Moon did on his '34 in about '53 (?) I'll bet some surviving SCTA "Hutters" will remember. (that was a 'regional' thing)

25. kurtis,

THANK YOU for a picture of one of my FAVORITE 40's builds that I haven't seen yet!

26. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

Just a few photos from my brothers book. Most were taken at El Mirage May 1948. Some others were taken in Bell California 1947-1948.
    The crash is the car my brother got killed in May 2 nd 1948 at El mirage. Car9B. That is him in the SCTA both and standing by the car. I was only 3 at the time, but I have been told he was a cool guy. The car in the drive way and under construction was his car. The last is an early photo of Bell Auto Parts. I worked there in the Gragar shop in the rear 1962.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      187.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      85.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      94.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      107.6 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      49 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      79.5 KB
      Views:
    • 9A.jpg
      9A.jpg
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
    • 9B.jpg
      9B.jpg
      File size:
      81.9 KB
      Views:
    • 9C.jpg
      9C.jpg
      File size:
      141.7 KB
      Views:
    • Untitled.jpg
      Untitled.jpg
      File size:
      105.1 KB
      Views:
    • bellautoparts_resized.jpg
      bellautoparts_resized.jpg
      File size:
      46.1 KB
      Views:
  27. I'm Bad I'm Nationwide.

I'm Bad I'm Nationwide.
    from Howell Mi

Cool Pic ..Dan

Stogy likes this.
  28. Thanks for sharing your brother's story and pics Dan.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

No problem. Glad to do it.

30. I just enjoyed this entire thread with some early Lightnin Hopkins and Bukka White and couldn't have had a better time. Thanks to all who've (or whomever) posted. 100% HAMB Gold for sure.

Stogy likes this.