Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940's period correct customs

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Django, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

This has long been a one of my favorite threads....
    I'm piecing together (slowly due $'s & family) a 35 hump back 4 door, ok I know that it's kinda like "the least of these" in terms of cool value, but my plan is for a late 40's tail dragger/mild c(k)ustom.

It's in a similar blue to Washington, it'll be running an 8ba, 39 box, 39 brakes, lowered spare wheel,
    for the time it'll run stock bonnet sides & tail lights as I have them & they are painted. My plan is to make some changes over time, once it is on the road. I'll probably notch/step the chassis a little, but it will run springs, not bags.

I'd like to run a set of full caps, but have a set of smoothy style stock caps which should work with some ribbed trim rings.

In terms of tyres, would WW's in 6.00 16" be the right thing in terms of era? I also have a set of 39 tail lights which I could use but have these been over done?
    I would love a set of 37 Desoto or 41 Ford bumpers but they are a little hard to find out here... I do have an era correct local option which I think will work....
    The dash will be stock, but in terms of a steering wheel, is a Banjo appropriate? I have the style & idea's pretty nailed, but I'm not sure what I think about some of these details...

stanlow69 likes this.
  2. Outback and straykatkustoms like this.
  3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I saw this '39 Lincoln-Zephyr in Sweden at this summer.Its from Denmark and it was converted from 4 door to convertible in 1939,in Denmark.Its a really mindblowing piece of scandinavian custom history.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris Nantus, LBCD, adam401 and 15 others like this.
  5. CadMad

CadMad

I love the split rear window treatment on the soft top. Gotta be one of the coolest rides out there. . . . That ain't a Cadillac.

6. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Sancho likes this.
  7. tinsled

tinsled

Beautiful flowing lines...
    Any link (or other source) to learn more of this car?
    What was the reason to convert a new sedan in 1939? (I suppose less passenger space was not considered an advantage in Europe at that period of time...?)

8. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Probably simple availability.

I can't imagine too many Lincolns of any model were making their way over to Europe in the late pre-war days. And that goes double for a big full-size V12 when you figure how vehicles were taxed in continental Europe at the time.

While there were likely few Lincolns available, the coach-building industry was still alive and thriving in Europe then, so if you could afford a big American car, you could afford to build it into whatever you wanted...

9. Rikster

Rikster

Here is a LINK to an article I did on the Lincoln on the Custom Car Chronicle.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks for the link!
    I heard some of this Linc's history,but i dint know all the details.Thanks!

11. tinsled

tinsled

Very interesting and surprising story - at least for a finn, on the perspective of the history.

In 1939 the war already begun in Finland and Poland. I can tell you guys, that in Finland there was not a soul who could have had a big new car customized to his dream at that time. 90% of big powerful US cars were claimed by the army in lack of transportation vehicles. Doctors, industrial chief officers etc. key people keeping the country going were allowed to keep their cars. Some people in country side hide their cars not to loose them, but none the less were not able to use them...

Denmark was richer by far, but being close to Germany I found this story very surprising although.
    As it has happened, I realize that the war time was different in Denmark from what it was up here.
    Another very pleasing surprise, that this car has survived the war and the poor years after the war.
    Most of the 1937...-40 big american cars were used and worn out during late 40's and all through the 50's in Europe when new cars were expensive and almost impossible to get...

stanlow69 and rodncustomdreams like this.
  12. Attached Files:

13. TTT for a great thread

14. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

NICE BUMPERS !!!!! 489208-1381925022-c96edb2649ca098af56e0ad80d553d32.jpg

EVL401, tinsled, Greaser Bob and 7 others like this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^I didn't know they had 5 MPH impact bumpers back then.

16. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

IMG_20180929_183711.jpg A pair of 41's in 40's trim

EVL401, justntime, Sancho and 16 others like this.
  17. verde742

verde742

please take NO offense,, love the chop.,, But I think you have skirt on wrong side of car.
    [​IMG]

gsnort likes this.
  18. 5 mph bumpers my ass, I'd hit it harder than that!

19. That quote is from a good while back - I've since finished a complete re-do and thought a pic would keep this thread moving along:
    OnTheWayToIndy.jpg

-Dave

Sancho, 'Mo, Jalopy Joker and 9 others like this.
  20. 392

Great thread.

johndee138 likes this.
  21. Rozzi

Rozzi

Granted, 1936 humpback sedans aren't the coolest car to customize, but I thought this 1947 dated photo I recently picked up fit this thread. Skirts, wheel covers, a spotlight, some flair on the hood/grille and what looks like a running board delete all make for a simple 1940's custom.

Attached Files:

22. 2.jpg
    Working towards this look on my '47.

23. Anymore 40s period customs out there ? BigO

24. Sancho, Dannerr, lurker mick and 2 others like this.
  25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

26. 'Mo

'Mo

How about this one, from Valley Customs?

I) Seared in my brain forever in the Sixties (from a show at the local arena) is an unchopped, candy red '41 coupe.
    Those molded rear fenders did the deed!
    [​IMG]

II) How about the raised front wheel wells? They set this car apart from a sea of more radical customs.
    (I know your ride is crazy low already. Why not run with it! ;))
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Sancho, Dannerr, lurker mick and 3 others like this.
  27. Im really leaning towards the custom, the Hot Rod would be cheaper and eaiser but that's not what this old car thing is about, and that '41 is part of the reason I'm looking to go custom, that thing is great looking. thanks Mo....BigO

Sancho and 'Mo like this.
  28. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Used to see this 41 Ford coupe running around Redondo Beach, CA in the 50's and don't ever remember seeing another one like it with Merc taillights.

!cid_X_MA7_1343397053@aol.jpg

LBCD, Sancho, Dannerr and 5 others like this.