Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940s Model A Sport Coupe Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mramc1, Nov 28, 2011.

1. 28-31

28-31

Looks great!

2. Way cool! Subscribed

3. nrgrcng

nrgrcng

Looks great, thanks.

4. mramc1

mramc1

So I have been busy working on the coupe trying for an unveil on July 28th. The other day I came home to a nice surprise...

[​IMG]

My new Coker's showed up at the door! Haven't got them mounted yet, but they sure look good.

One big thing I didn't expect was that both my OEM A radiators were wore out to point of needs many repairs. I had to get a new rad and aluminum is more economical, but just doesn't look right, IMO. So I had to bite the bullet and drop the big coin for a new Walker.

[​IMG]

A very nice radiator and I was able to order a SBC one so that really helped shorten up the hoses to the 2.3L. I also got the dummy stock filler neck so I can attach my rad cap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My big project has been wiring. Been at it for 3 days now. Starts out as a rat's nest and gets better as you go.

[​IMG]

I'm using repo Stewart Warner gauges and wanted to not cut the original dash up if at all possible. I needed a place to hang some 3 gauges so I started with a cardboard template.

[​IMG]

Then cut out a piece of aluminum from an old sign.

[​IMG]

Was going to leave bare, but it stuck out too much.

[​IMG]

Bam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm finishing the wiring up now and then rad hoses and hopefully firing the motor mid week.

Stogy likes this.
  5. Cool progress! Are you going to be able to run a mechanical fan or will you need to use a electric?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. mramc1

mramc1

Unfortunately, I have to run an electric fan. If I ran a mechanical it would only be about 8" in diameter to not hit the front crossmember and lower radiator hose. I don't even think you can get a mech fan that small and if you did it probably wouldn't be effective.

7. Dig the choice in tires.

8. supercab78

supercab78

For your lower radiator hose try a Gates 20573. I had to cut a few inches off one end. That's the one I used on my 2.3 build. I have not found a good upper hose yet.

9. mramc1

mramc1

Since I used a SBC Walker radiator the lower hose was a simple elbow that I cut out of a hose I had. The upper I used a hose I found that is like a backward Z. I also upsized the 2.3L filler neck to 1.5" OD with a piece of exhaust adapter tubing so it was a common size.

10. mramc1

mramc1

It runs! I got the motor fired on July 26th and the next day was able to drive into the yard for some assembly shots.

[​IMG]

Bam!

[​IMG]

Pow!

[​IMG]

Thwack!

[​IMG]

The car is legal even though the windshield isn't it yet I drove it about 2 miles and it seems to drive pretty good. I have a massive vacuum leak under the carb spacer that I need to fix, but it seems to pull good and all the gears work so I'm happy. It sounds pretty good too. Kind of loud, but not too ricey which I was fearing the most.

Spent most of Saturday slamming some mud on the roof before my debut at the Rochester Open Wheel Gang picnic on Sunday.

[​IMG]

Here's the car next to Ron Lasker's 12" channel, 6" chop coupe. The difference was striking. His roof doesn't even come up the the beltline on my car! Ron's A is one of the baddest ass A's I have ever seen.

[​IMG]

brEad, kiwijeff and Stogy like this.
  11. Congrats!!! It's always a great feeling when you take it down the road for the first time. Todd

12. 101Scout

101Scout

She's lookin' good, Josh! I think that 2.3 looks right at home too.
    Great job!

13. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

We need a "LIKE" button on the HAMB. Great job! Later,Bill

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

skatermann and Hitchhiker like this.
  14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

subscribed nice build

15. wizard29oz

wizard29oz
    Member Emeritus
    from new york

Proud of you son. I will be watching for road test data during the summer. Way to go.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Diggin this man, looking forward to seeing the rest :)

Posted using My Dick Tracey watch and the full custom HAMB app

17. Just saw this picture here on the HAMB from the Old Souls show.
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff and Stogy like this.
  18. mramc1

mramc1

Yeah, that's my car at the Hardcore Happening. By far the best hot rod party in NYS.
    I am finishing the bodywork on the roof and breaking the car in. I have some updates to add, but been too busy to get them loaded. I pulled the rear spring out last night and need to get it rebuilt or rearched. The rearend and spring had been out of a car for about 30 years. When I mocked up the rear suspension I had over 3" of travel with weight on the car. Now that I have started to drive it the spring has sagged to the point that the clearance is only about 3/4" so definitely need to get that fixed. I'll have more updates soon.

19. mramc1

mramc1

I had the rear leaf spring rebuilt. I had the 2nd and 3rd leafs replaced and had a little aching done. I had such a hard time getting the spring out of the car that I split the pack up to put it back in. I also ground each leaf face and added some grease for easy sliding.

[​IMG]

I got the main in with the help of a homemade spreader then started to rebuild the pack.

[​IMG]

It was getting pretty tough to squeeze the pack at this point and run all the clamps and keep the center bolt straight so I was happy to get far enough to add the outer binder clamps.

[​IMG]

After more intense clamp work I was finally able to complete the spring, what a workout! I also added a 1/2" spacer to the top to get a little more lift.

[​IMG]

With the spacer I wasn't really sure about using the two stock u-bolt mounts so I decided to make one plate instead. Here I have cut it out and am checking for fitment. The plate will be trimmed and shaped to make it more appealing when it's done.

[​IMG]

20. mramc1

mramc1

Finally had a chance to add some more progress. I changed out my gauge installation from a butchered stock A dash to a cool engine turned boat panel. Unfortunately, I had to cut up the stock gas tank, but it came out pretty nice. Check it out.

Here I'm doing a cardboard template before cutting.

[​IMG]

Then I used my new (well new to me anyway) B2 Beverly shear to cut the panel out of 14 ga. steel. This shear is awesome! I was able to cut all the way around the panel in one shot. The cut is very smooth and it was easy to follow the pattern line exactly. I was really impressed, what a great tool.

[​IMG]

The steel ring mounts the panel from the backside and then bolts to the gas tank around the outer rim using clip nuts.

[​IMG]

Test fitting.

[​IMG]

Painted Ford engine green.

[​IMG]

Bam!

[​IMG]

Rewired and installed. I think the cluster really stands out and the black SW gauges really pop on the turned panel. From this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's the plunger thing under the seat?

[​IMG]

It's my Bermuda Bell! Arrant bystanders now get a big bing-bong to let them know to get clear, I'm coming through!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    brEad likes this.
  21. 101Scout

101Scout

Sweet! Man, that dash came out really nice! I like the bell too. :)

22. I just spent all evening reading your build. Nice job Josh! Your tricks and tech tips will help me alot when I get to building my A.
    -Pat

23. mramc1

mramc1

Thanks guys. Now I need to get back out there and finish up the body work on the roof. That will probably be after Hershey as I have a ton of stuff to dig out and get ready for that.

24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

My Dad put a bermuda bell in his car when he was in high school. Still have that bell. I never considered putting it back on the coupe when I get to the point of floor boards. I might have to think about that.

25. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Man your build thread has had some of the best info in it as far as helping me with my car. Im subscribed! Awesome build

26. MODELA30

MODELA30

JUST SAW THIS NICE CAR. GREAT WORK!!! Knuck From Indiana.

27. mramc1

mramc1

So it's been a long time since I got to work on my coupe, but now that summer is right around the corner I need to finish it up. This weekend I worked on a front license plate mount. In NYS you're supposed to run a front plate so I took the time to try and make up a custom mount for it.

The mount will float the plate between the frame horns. I started with a bunch of scrap bent flat stock I found at the steel discount store. I made a jig to start the layout.

[​IMG]

I used some nails to hold the pieces in place.

[​IMG]

Here the bars are tacked and the mounting nuts are tacked in the ends. Also the strap stock that will hold the plate from behind.

[​IMG]

Cut to length with everything in place.

[​IMG]

Test fit in the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I'm finishing the welding and smoothing the mount out for paint. It bolts in the rear bumper iron holes on the stock frame horns.

daddio211 likes this.