Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940s Aircraft WWII Instrument Lamps for a Deuce

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ric Dean, Aug 9, 2014.

1. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

What I was asking, are your indicators screw sockets for the bulbs? I did a lot of looking at these a few months ago and there are a lot of older bulbs out there for the screw sockets.

2. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

I like the original high beam jewels for the headlight indicators, very small. I used a larger (about 3/8 inch) set of lights for the turn indicators (I wired my existing lights so they work as indicators with a hidden control) so I would notice them (get older you know). Also used the larger lights for the warning indicators.
    And, you do have to provide enclosures for the lights so you don't flood the back of the dash with light.

3. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

.. Only one has the screw socket the others are bayonet. By the way thanks for the photos and the catalog copy helps me with the proper terminology.

4. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

‘Jseery’
    .. I agree on the original high beam indicators, I may have a 40 Ford one around here somewhere.
    .. I will not have turn indicators (Directionals) on this car, but if I ever do I’ll use one of those mickey mouse add-on Column mount thing-of-a-ma-jiggys.
    .. What color indicator lights are you using and for what purposes; are they also 3/8’’.
    .. I’m glad you brought up the enclosures; I thought that was a strange design; are those available or will I have to fab them?

Thanks you’ve been a big help; Ric

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  5. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

If you look at the back clip for the high beam jewel I think it has an enclosure, for the other ones I was just going to fab my own. The warning indicators are red, so far I'm not sure what I am going to using the warning for, might rig up something for oil pressure and temp, not sure. I am going to use a blue for the fuel pump.

Ric Dean likes this.
  6. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Near all aircraft have a battery switch that powers up the electrical bus. The B-17 had four mag switches, one for each engine and four starter-on/clutch-engage switches, one for each engine. With inertial starters, you rotate them up to speed then clutch them in to rotate the engine for starting. There were lots of switches for sure. There were fire extinguisher buttons for each engine as well as fire warning lamps. There were also buttons to feather the props. When you have that many engines and controllable pitch props, you have lots of stuff for normal operation as well as emergency procedures. It took both pilot and copilot to fly the B17. The top turret gunner was the crew chief but he wasn't a flight engineer by definition. He was too far away from the controls and way to busy to help the pilots much.

My pop flew those old turds during the war and I ended up working on helicopters for a living. I worked on a B-25 one time a long time ago but most of my war birds were Hueys, Cobras, and Loaches.

Ric Dean likes this.
  7. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

.. That’s what I was looking for; now I can start to wire it up for Batt, Mag, Elec Fuel Pump and Start.
    .. This 32 will look good going through that sequence of Starting switches and then having the Flathead fire up with its 9.2-1 comp ratio and open Lakes Headers it outa have a mean bark; even better maybe with some Aviation Gas to boot.
    .. This 32 is going to be a tribute car to guys like your Pops; I’m in my 70s and I can still remember them Guys coming home. Did you notice the 1942 3rd Army Air Corp Badge on the 32 Grille of my Avatar that was donated by a Command Sargent Major Ret.

I appreciate your help, Ric

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  8. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

WWll 0233b 600p .jpg ... I picked up some smaller Panel Lamps, these are supposedly 1940's era War Bird. The Lens Cap is spring loaded it pulls out and swivels in order to change Bulb. What do you guys think original to the 40s?
    thanks, Ric

9. Nobey

Nobey

Well it only took you four years, but yes , those are cool.....