Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 studebaker champion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LiveActionMotorsports, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Hey guys. This is a good friend of mines stude. It's all original and runs like a top. Still has the original 3spd and flathead 6. I just did the Lettering on the doors for them. Looking a little more into it I have noticed the doors are sagging on the bottom hinge and the windows are pretty tough to roll up but the go down fine. They also want to preserve the paint as much as we can. There is a little rust in the deck lid and the paint is peeling in numerous spots. I'm looking for some guidance and suggestions for the paint. Also can anybody school me on studebaker Windows and hinges? Thanks fellas!

Here it is after I finished the lettering and gave it a good polish, it cleans up nice. Also this was my first time doing lettering.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457456811.296566.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457456883.382444.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457456902.742065.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457456917.832389.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457456935.759216.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457456948.582475.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457456963.189436.jpg

2. aircap

aircap

I like it.
    Needs some interior work....

3. I like it too.
    Leave it alone and run it as is, or cut and modify......
    Whatever your friend does with it, it's cool.

4. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like rust is forcing the paint off of the body. If you want to preserve the paint that's left, I would suggest a shitload of very careful masking, then sandblasting the beltline area clean where the paint has already flaked off, some primer there, and blend some new paint in over the top. If the paint match isn't perfect it will show, but it'll stop the rust from forcing more paint off. The bottom of the trunk lid will require some patch pieces put in before paint blends but the roof looks intact enough that hopefully that won't be necessary, although it'll go bad fast. The car looks like it gets parked outside a lot.

Be sure to sand the sandblasted areas flat again before primer to make sure no little hairs are sticking up, it'll rust back again if it's not flat. And a thorough undercoating job on the car, including inside the rear wheelwells and the inside bottoms of the doors and under the rear quarter windows will also help the preservation, and the cleaner you get it before you put the coating on, the better.

I would also consider new window gaskets and new sweeps for the side glass.

5. When I did my 40 Champion coupe, I just replaced the hinge pins with universal ones and that fixed them. The window setup is really simple, there is a central slider bar and then a seperate regulator that moves the glass. Just take apart and lube and should work fine unless all the channels are bad. Universal stuff works for the channels too. Windshield and rear window gaskets are available from the major vendors.

Doug