Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 Mercury Window regulator differences

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by fryguy, Jan 15, 2014.

1. fryguy

fryguy

Is anybody very familiar with the 1940 Mercury window regulators? I need a set of coupe regulators and in searching some folks are combining that the Coupe and Sedan regulators are the same. Some say they are different. Some mention to use the aftermarket 40 Ford regulators and modify. In looking at the 40 ford regulators, it mentions that coupe and 4dr sedan are the same part number in the aftermarket catalogs. Would this be the same for Mercury as well? Can anyone provide some needed information. Or can someone post a picture of a 40 Mercury Coupe regulator?

Fryguy
    <!-- / message -->

2. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

The sedan regulators are longer. Try pm ING 40fords on here, I bet he has a set or two.

3. fryguy

fryguy

Ok, so the 2 dr sedan regulators are longer?. It makes sense that the 4dr sedan and coupe regulators would be the same in the aftermarket catalogs. I have a 4dr sedan mercury parts car and wondered if they would work on the coupe. I don't have coupe regulators to compare to.

I'll try to ping 40fords on here.

4. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Sitting here thinking about it, I think I told you wrong. The coupe and sedan are shorter by about 2" then the 4 Dr is longer, but I think its the rear doors that have the longer regulator?? Not 100% certain where the longer ones came from. You don't have one to measure by any chance?
    I remember puttting in the longer one and it fits, but the ARM that lifts the glass is the longer part...

5. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

40 Merc 2d sedan and sedan coupe have the same regulators. The 4dr sedan uses a shorter regulator.

6. fryguy

fryguy

Thanks Dick for the info. You say 2 door sedan and Sedan Coupe use the same? What is a Sedan coupe? Is that different that just a Coupe?

7. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

That is the terminology for a Mercury coupe

8. fryguy

fryguy

Gotcha, thanks Dick for the explanation

9. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

I have heard 1940 ford convertible will work if you lengthen by 1" or so-maybe Dick can confirm that...

10. fryguy

fryguy

Vonpahrkur, thanks, I did hear that as well. It was also mentioned that the 40 Ford Coupe and convertible would work if lengthened by an 1" or so