Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Mercury seat recommendations???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Casny, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I have a 40 Mercury that I need a bunch of parts for.

One of the parts I need, are front and rear bench seats and was wondering if anybody could recommend a donor car that could work. Original Merc seats would be ideal but I haven't found any yet.

I was thinking maybe 49-51 Ford shoebox seats?

The front seats need to be split, since I don't have the "luxury" of four doors.

I'm not sure how wide the original 40 Merc seats are, if someone could give me those dimensions, that would help as well.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thank you so much

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. tim troutman

tim troutman

I used the seat out of a Malibu classic was a good fit and comfortable to wide for a 40 ford but right for a merc

3. sled

sled

Chris ,talk to Kevan Sledge ..he has a bunch of 39/40 Merc coupes at his place and my Mexicali 40 project is equipped with the original estas ,both front and back...
    Front ones are kinda slim,i reckon
    You'll be getting all measurements from him for sure ..
    Plans to build a full custom on yours or what? Pics always welcome

4. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Hey Sled, thanks.
    I'll contact Kevan, I need a bunch of other parts as well.

Yes, it will be a full custom, can't wait to get it started. It's a solid project, some patch panels where already done by an old timer at some point, all gas welded. There is no real rust to repair anymore. I'll probably start a build thread at some point.
    This is what I'm starting with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. I never had a stock front seat so I got one from a 41-48 Ford coupe. Fit great.

6. sled

sled

Chris ,you've got a great base to start with,no doubt..sorry for the delay but I just found again your thread!!
    Knowing your skills this will be another killer custom ..please ,start a building thread when you're ready to roll...
    We need more of these Mercs on the road...I'm actually saving all of em down here in Mexico as far I can find em..not many around but they are still out there
    Good luck on your project

7. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Thanks Sled, I'm pretty excited about this car, since I don't have to do a ton of rust repair.

8. Joemerc

Joemerc
    from Clayton NC

I have a set from my 40 merc coupe i will sell

9. fryguy

fryguy

Chris, What did you end up doing for your front seat of the Merc? I am in the same predicament. Have a 40 merc that Kevan and Vic just chopped and it had bucket seats. Need to find a suitable repalcement.

Joemerc, not sure if you still have that set of seats?

10. Vegas_Cleaver

Vegas_Cleaver

63 t bird with the package tray fit in the rear nice, I also had a late 50's split bench up front that worked nice. .

Attached Files:

Bam.inc likes this.
  11. fryguy

fryguy

Bobcat, thanks for the Pics. Is the Merc chopped that has those Tbird seats in it?

Fryguy

12. Vegas_Cleaver

Vegas_Cleaver

yeah a 5/7 chop. I angled up the rear package tray to fit the curve it worked good as I was able to fit 2 6x9's under it and still use the slits in the tray. i just wish I had the side panels at the time to finish It off.