Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 Mercury Convertible header panel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terry D, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Terry D

Terry D
    from NY

I'm knee deep in a 40 Merc 2dr convertible project,does anyone know if the header for the top is the same as a 40 Ford convt?I know the body is wider in the middle ,need info on if the windshield frame is the same.Thank you.

2. desotot

desotot

Hey, I am working on a similar project and will be following this thread,I was going to build the top header for the car I am working on.It has already been done once but it wasn't done quite right so the owner needs it to look more correct and not leak. It is also a 40 merc.

3. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

The Wescott catalog shows the header for sale . It was about $475.00 on the 2013 catalog. I bought a wood header from Wescott for my 39 project a few years ago. The quality was good. I am sure that they order them from some USA source. They may advertise in Hemmings. I know that this was not your actual question but I was guessing that you may have thought the Mercury headers were not available.

http://www.wescottsauto.com/WebCatalog/K-WindshieldTop/1939-40Mercury.pdf

5. patterg2003

patterg2003

Wood Art may be a possibility as they manufacture the wood convertible parts and sell parts through Drake & others.
    http://www.fordwoodart.com/
    Click the on line catalog & then a little box appears that says year. Pick 1940 then the search button & the 1940 Ford & Mercury headers are listed on the 2nd page. They say that they do not have them in stock but they may be able to get one cut for you.
    They make a few wood parts for the 40 Ford. I kept this company book marked for the parts they make that I am missing around the rear seat. I think I will be able to make my own rear seat wood.
    40 Mercury's have one of the nicest looking of the 40 Fords
    All the best on your search.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Terry D

Terry D
    from NY

7. Terry D

Terry D
    from NY

Thanks to patterg2003 also

8. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Hey that's great! It always feels good when I can help someone with a project!

9. desotot

desotot

I apologize for hijacking this thread but I wonder if anyone has some good pictures of the windshield frame and vent window/door glass pics. Thanks.

10. Frank Compoccio

Frank Compoccio

Looking for convertible top woods for 40 Ford. Seems very expensive. Does anyone have patterns so I can cut my own? Kube?