Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 Ford Windshield Correct Installation - how to?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weasel, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Weasel

Weasel

Did a search and didn't find anything so here's the question: the 1940 Sedan Delivery comes back from the paint shop tomorrow after the cowl vent area was repaired and the welded up cowl was reinstated and painted. Are there any hints, tricks and tips on re-installing the windshield? I will probably wait for a few days for the paint to cure completely before tackling this job. Any insight and advice would be much appreciated as I really have no clue how it is done correctly and do not want to screw up the fresh paint! Thanks guys.

2. The windshields, meaning there are 2 pieces of laminated glass (left and right), that are installed from the interior. You're going to need 2 more people besides yourself to install.
    Basically, put the glass inner part and a rope around the outer part of the gasket. Maybe use a little dish soap and rub inside the outer part of gasket before installing rope - this will make it easier to pull the rope during install. You and someone else CAREFULLY bring the windshield installed in gasket with attached rope inside the car. Then both of you bring the assembly over the dash and up against the pinchweld.
    Now, the third person is outside the car to pull the rope and lip the gasket over the pinchweld.
    After the 'shields are in, installed center bar with gaskets. Don't over tighten the interior nuts on the bar or the glass will crack.
    Otherwise, seek a reputable glass shop.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    rust runner likes this.
  3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Well, I disagree. I did mine by myself. Both original and v-butt. The windshield installs from the outside, not inside. I agree with cord lubricated with liquid soap in the groove that fits over the flange. Set the bottom in and begin to lightly pull the cord causing the lip to come over the flange. In my opinion it works best to pull the cord in circles as you move along. Go slow and be gentle. Once one side is in you can use your palm to kind of "slap" it toward the outside edge. Now there is a first and second side when doing one with the center divider bar, but I don't recall which side is first. Looking at the rubber seals probably tells you.

4. i'm going to disagree too , but with okiedokie....the few `40's i've done the glass went in from the inside. i believe the instructions for the windshield rubber says so. never tried it from the outside. it may work too?

the glass goes in passenger side first if you install the glass from the inside

what do the `40 experts say?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I just did mine from inside, passenger side goes first. It helps to have at least one helper and use plenty of soap or lubrication ON BOTH sides of the seal lip. The outside that shows when its installed has to pull past the pinchweld and this is where it will tear if you aren't careful. The pulling in circles seemed to work for me too. Just be patient and if you feel it not wanting to go dont force it.

6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have done four 40's, all from the outside. Guess it can be done both ways. I don't understand how you pull the lip onto the flange with the glass on the inside. When it is time to do my sedan I will try it.

7. I'm resurrecting this thread to address some misinformation and add supporting evidence to what others have said since the thread is the first hit when searching the web and the forum. I received my windshields today, installed, and wanted to post.

As others have pointed out, 1940 coupe/sedan windshield glass can only be installed from the inside for correct fit. There's no debate and it's not preference of installation method. The factory patterned glass is wider than the pinch seam on the body, so the glass cannot pass through the opening and must reside on either the inner or outer side of the body seam. The gasket is designed with the large glass channel on the inside of the car and the thin body seam channel on the outside. The gasket is not mirrored/symmetrical in that the outside lip is contoured with a bevel that runs down to the glass for a nice, clean look. The inside lip is squared off and fat compared to the outside.

Anyone who installs the glass from the outside has either mistakenly installed the glass in the thinner body seam channel or mistakenly installed the gaskets on the glass backwards to where the glass will rest on the outside of the body seam and have an unsightly fat, square rubber lip on the outside that does not contour back onto the body. In this incorrect placement, the glass will also stand proud of the body seam almost flush with the A pillars and roof. The glass and gasket should be recessed in the opening with the glass resting on the inside of the body seam.

Regarding installation, the center divider of the gaskets is an offset rabbit that when overlapped forms a half-lap joint. The right side gasket rabbit is the closest to the front of the car, so the right side windshield must be installed first. then the left side gasket rabbit pinches up against the right side rabbit to complete the half-lap joint. The center divider bars sandwich the half-lap joint in place.

Hopefully my input clears up any confusion and helps people in the future looking for the correct installation.

warbird1 likes this.
  8. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Well, never the less, my memory may be off, but I have installed several by my lonesome self.

9. patterg2003

patterg2003

Here are the Ford instructions from Van Pelt's site that may help.
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_glassinstall-40-46_pg1.htm
    I have not done a 40 Ford but a couple in VW beetles that is installed in a similar manner. I used some diluted dish soap for a lubricant for the windshield rubber. A soapy solution makes the rubber slip over the metal easier.

The 39 guy likes this.
  10. Old post I know. I just did the '41 p/u again today (second time in a few years). Put the gasket onto the glass (glass on the inside channel and body on outside channel) with tapered edge angled toward glass.
    windshield rubber-1.jpg
    The 2 side centers lock together and you sandwich them with the trim.
    **Make sure the passenger side glass has the flap on the outside or on top and the driver side is BEHIND it.
    -The glass installs from the inside and the passenger side goes in first.

I spent an extra 45mins of fun today because I wasn't paying attention and had the pass side glass center on the inside. I had to pry the drivers side over the pass side in the center......sucked.