Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 Ford wheelbase Q?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oz40, Nov 20, 2014.

1. oz40

oz40

Just about to start a late model diff mod on a 1940 Ford hung by semi elliptic springs, what is the sort after new wheelbase measurement to center the tires/diff in the fender opening.
    thanks..... oz40

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

I dont understand the language you are using but maybe you need to know to move the rear axle 1" towards the back of the car??

3. Generally you can go off the bump stop holes.

Best is to do a mock up with the fender on to make sure things are centered. Also, a rake if there is any, likes to have the axle moved a little rearward too. Another reason to mock up.

4. 42merc

42merc

1940 Ford wheelbase is 112".
    Most aftermarket rear spring kits need the axle pushed back a little, 1/2" plus.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I have never moved the WB on any of my forties and they center the wheels perfectly. I have used CE, TCI & SAC without problems. As mentioned above, the bump stop hole should be in the center of the axle housing allowing about 3-4 inches for travel.

IMG_8526.jpg
    This photo shows the axle using a TCI kit which places the axle housing in the center of the wheel well and directly under the center hole for the bump stop.

IMG_7621.jpg
    Here is my delivery with the same set up.