Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 ford tail lights

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lilmo630, Sep 9, 2018.

1. lilmo630

lilmo630

Hi, i am looking for flush mount 1940 ford style tail lights. I was wondering if anyone has saw them non- led. I can only find them in led. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Be kinda hard to get a bulb in that flush mount provided space, need a can like the original for a bulb socket.

3. fortynut

fortynut

Anything is possible. If you have tenacity and deep pockets. If you're armed with less you have to look into every source. Bob Drake won't have it. Speedway has one. Digital but flush mount? Not sure. I want to French mine, just so. Use halogen bulbs. Keep looking. You can always have a set CNCed out of Stainless. Cut the back for a thin sheet of glass and get a custom glass shop to make some heat-treated lens and hand wire an array of high intensity LEDs. Two circuits of them. Tail light/ stop & turn. Say, I sure like the looks of the illustrations. Hope something works out. Always a good word for Forty Fords.

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Bulbs take space. If this is to be “flush”, where’s the bulb?

Maybe you want to French them?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Re read the question.

6. lilmo630

lilmo630

Thanks for the replies guys. after i posted this i realized there wont be any room for a bulb if they are flush mounted like this.

7. fortynut

fortynut

Me again. You know that being very explicit helps more, here, than any group of human beings who live, eat, digest, and excrete every level of hot rod thoughts than any place in the known inhabited universe, and I suspect some beings from beyond that post here regularly. Some of us have been at this since we were pre-teens and collectively we don't just know everything there is to know about Jalopies, a couple hundred know it backwards. So, why do you want it flush mounted. Does it have to do with clearance issues? Or, a secret. If you have a secret 'thing' you're up to, we won't steal your idea without giving you a chance to run, first. In stock form '40 Ford tail-lights require a recessed device that holds the tail light socket, and the pigtail of wires that are part of the wiring harness. As in most early automobiles, the body acts as the ground, which simplifies one aspect of things --- but , because of corrosion and other issues lacks the better solution that evolved later that uses an extra wire to make it possible to use fiberglass body parts. Most LED aftermarket lights for older cars may look brighter and be safer but the fact is they look crappy because the lens are plastic. There is nothing like glass for a sharper focused light, since they are faceted inside like a jewel to alter the patterns of the light source. And, a glass blue dot is a beautiful thing, and like all the things that make us feel good is prohibited in some states. However, if you have an idea, it must be able to exist scientifically (as in good Science Fiction) it will be too far out to be created in material form. This is a problem computers spit out: a thing that can only exist in cyberspace. I hope you will stay with us, and do like I have over the years, come to trust that if you want to know something about car stuff, this is the place like no other place. Unless you want to put the tail lights on your extra Terra hopper.

lothiandon1940 likes this.