Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 Ford Steering Wheel - What column?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeremy Jalopies, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

Hello, I have a 17” Vintiques 1940 Ford steering wheel and Ive been debating the column. I picked up a 1936 Ford column with the locking drop(the reason I picked it up) The ‘36 column doesn’t have the correct sized bell at the end for the ‘40 wheel to flow well. Ive read a thread or two for a solution but I don’t have access to a lathe. Are there any aftermarket columns that will flow well and not break the bank?

If this means I use a different column and wheel(Bell wheel and ididit column and drop) thats fine. I just want to make it somewhat painless.

I appreciate the replies and time.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nailhead Jason and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Price a different wheel and an Ididit column and all of a sudden paying a machine shop to spin a little material off the 36 Bell is a no brainer.
    The Wizzard

Jeremy Jalopies and Texas Webb like this.
  3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

You could use the column that was intended for that wheel, 40ford, or 40-47 truck column. The truck column may have the column drop locking device in a different spot than that of the car one. You might want to use a banjo wheel with your existing column.

HellsHotRods likes this.
  4. uncle buck

uncle buck

Why not pick up a 40-48 column tube and grind off the column shift bumps and epoxy/ JB Weld em up ?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

HellsHotRods likes this.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You need the correct column bell for the wheel to look right.. I probably have some depending on your needs...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

I appreciate the replies. Im quite a ways away from fitting any of this stuff on my build and I just remember I got a $200 Speedway gift card for Xmas so that may just take care of some of it. There is a part of me that doent trust Speedway stuff completely

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

8. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Follow the advice of big deuce and Uncle Buck
    I have columns for that wheel
    And so do other sources
    Word!

olscrounger likes this.
  9. the37thstreet

the37thstreet

SD530029.JPG Did that to my 30 Roadster last week, with a lime-works steering wheel, used a 41 truck steering tube, to my 34 truck steering tube, worked out great.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    mgtstumpy and olscrounger like this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

There are a couple million 40 Ford columns out there. Not all of them are in cars right now, so somebody has one you can use. The outer column tube and bell will slide off the 40 box and right into your 36 mount (may need to cut a hole in the correct place for the lock though). Basically a bolt on. Or, you could send your money to Speedway.