Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 ford steering column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Claws, May 13, 2020.

1. Claws

Claws
    from New Jersey

Ok, I loosened two bolts that hold the column drop to the dash, loosened the clamp at the gearbox and slid off with a little jiggling.

I took out the pinch bolt with an ez out, and amazingly it came out pretty easy. Took the whole column apart, cleaned it and gave it a new coat of paint. I’m waiting on a. New upper column bushing and a new ignition cylinder to come in and then I’ll put it all back together. Problem is, the new column assembly looks so good, now the dash looks like it needs a new coat of paint...lol.

I ground out the cracks in the steering wheel and plan to pick up some PC-7 tomorrow.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove the dash? I think it’s the only way to do a proper refinish job. Do I need to remove the front glass or are the bolts just hidden under the garnish molding?

Thanks for everyone’s help...some before and after pics of where I’m at so far:

Attached Files:

warbird1 and The 39 guy like this.
  2. So, you just started the Bouncing ball. Once you start there is no easy place to stop it. Fresh paint on the dash will make the wind lace look like, ya you know. Replacing that stuff makes the headliner look like,, and so on and so on and so on. (the bouncing ball) I have a Shop full of projects in pieces because of one clean up project. To answer your question, "No" removing the Dash does not involve the windshield. However,, watch out for that 80 year old wireing harness.

P.S. I can get you a photo of a 40 dash removed from the Body both front and back sides. Don't ask what caused it to be removed from the Body but I did not make up the above information.

olscrounger likes this.
  3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep-one thing leads to another! Dash is not hard to remove but old wiring as he said could be a mess. I always have a spare deluxe dash ready in correct colors for next project. I can usually get a dash out in about 2 hrs being careful. Remove windshield garnishes, then screws around the top and two bolt slow on each side-but then all the other stuff must be unhooked carefully They indeed look great refreshed but as he said above now what about the rest?

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  4. Claws

Claws
    from New Jersey

Yup, I guess it can get out of hand if you can’t draw the line someplace. Not sure where the line is for me yet. I started out just wanting to replace the drop, because what was there was completely butchered, and now I’m getting sucked in. I don’t really mind tho - Honestly, I kind of enjoy it...

5. I might have put some flattening agent in the paint on the column tube so it didn't shine so much. Maybe save from moving on to the dash.

olscrounger likes this.
  6. Claws

Claws
    from New Jersey

Ha! Very true. If you can post this pics of the dash I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

7. Claws

Claws
    from New Jersey

Pistnbroke: disregard on the photo. I pulled the dash out today.

Attached Files:

8. Claws

Claws
    from New Jersey

Also, wiring is a mess, half dry rotted original harness and half botched modern. I’ll be putting in a new dash harness, and probably a headlight and body harness as well.

9. Just sat down to post up the photos. Won't now, you have that part handled I see. If your after a total stock replacement harness check out Rhode Island wireing. I'm very pleased with there plug-n-play unit I bought. Looks like it came direct from Ford. Not a single crimp connector to be found and all stock switches just required connecting. Can't get any better than that.

10. Claws

Claws
    from New Jersey

I’ll check them out, thanks!