Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 ford rims and tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coupedupnow, Jul 18, 2017.

1. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

I am looking to purchase a set of rims and tires for a stock 40 ford deluxe....I am having some trouble deciding what to run. I want the rear to fill the wheel well a little better than the stock and I want the front to sit a little lower than the rear.... I like the smoothies wheels.....just need to know what to order for rims and tires...if anyone can help I would appreciate it!!! I would like them to come already mounted and balanced.. do you have a preference on where to order from -coker ??? thanks!!!!
    looking to order today hopefully . before you say please search the previous posts....I have for hours! ....hah

mprice likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Bias ply or radial? Why not use the original wheels? Do you like that original style wheel?

3. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

I would like to go with radials ....I do like the look of stock but I want a little wider in rear....

4. chopndrop

chopndrop

5. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

6. ............By that do you mean custom built wheels 'cause you should be able to come up with something that works well from regularly produced wheels that they might have in stock.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  7. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

Thanks for the replies. Basically looking to run steel smoothies ... Little wider in the rear and I want the front end to be a little lower in the front without changing suspension similar to the pic

Attached Files:

8. So, you can run 16" wheels on the rear and 15" or even 14" on the front, though the 14" wheels might not fill the wheel well like you might desire. Stagger the tire size a little bit and you're there. You can only get so much "rake" with tire size alone though.

Moriarity and lothianwilly71 like this.
  9. flatjack

flatjack

I'm running 50 Merc rims with 195 - 15s on the front and 225-15's on the back. See my avatar.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

Thanks......Right..... what is the max rim width in the rear and backspace and what tires size .... front What backspace and what size shorter tire that won't rub ?? Thanks

11. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

anyone else ?.....looking to purchase asap. all companies are helpful when it comes to stock replacement ....anything other that that they really don't want to touch .

12. alchemy

alchemy

We had a 40 coupe twenty years ago that had IIRC some 235/75/15 in the back. The car was kinda low, and we had a bear of a time getting them in and out of the wheelwell, and would some time screech when turning hard corners. You should find a tire you like (borrow one from a friend), then place it in the wheelwell and measure for your exact offset. Otherwise you are going to be asking for poor fitment. Everybody's car is a bit different, there is no one size fits all answer.

Don't get in a hurry or it could cost you $$.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. ..........................This is good information.

14. alchemy has it right. No two cars are exactly the same. You're going to have to actually do some real-life measuring and determine how much backspace your car can handle as well as whether you plan to do any lowering of the car in the future. There is a lot to consider and you don't want to make an expensive mistake.

15. Here's some information that might help you do your measuring and some typical backspacing on aftermarket steel wheels. This should get you headed in the right direction. 07022017.jpg 07192017_0001.jpg

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  16. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

that exactly what I am trying to avoid hahahahh!! thanks for the info sir

17. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

thanks!! a lot of good information

thanks!!