Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 Ford outside mirrors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47ragtop, Aug 11, 2017.

1. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I need some exterior rear view mirrors for my 40 Ford coupe. What's the best choice - pros and cons. Peep style , hinge pin mount, cowl mount , or simply front edge clamp on style ? The hinge pins are loose so that's not a problem for hinge pin style. Please NO holes to be drilled like the swan neck style. Thanks ! Bill

2. I have a 4 inch, curved arm peep mirror, the kind that clamps onto the drip rail. I like the looks and simplicity of it but, it pretty much sucks as far as really being able to see around the curve of the body. In hindsight, I probably should have used a hinge pin mirror but my pins are nice and tight and I didn't want to bugger them up.

47ragtop likes this.
  3. How functional do you want them to be? The cowl mount (that replace the cowl trim) style are worthless; you can barely see anything in the drivers side mirror, and won't even be able to see the passenger side mirror from inside the car. You'll have more-or-less the same issues with the other ones mentioned, although the drivers side will work somewhat better depending on your choice.

My avatar had the cowl mounts when I got it, and they were pretty much useless. I agonized over the same mirror choices and ended up biting the bullet and drilled for the swan necks, but was rewarded with two mirrors that I can actually see things in. A hinge-pin type on the drivers side only would have been my second choice but isn't available for the '41-48 cars, and any mirror mounted too 'forward' or high on the passenger side will be useless.

The swan-necks actually ended up looking more 'integrated' than the others I've seen and IMO look better.... its just getting past that 'I gotta drill some holes' thing.... LOL

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2 above-cowl mirrors are poor--pass side designed for passenger-the driver cannot see it. Hinge mirrors tend to vibrate too much for me. Leaves the clamp on style or swan neck if you want to actually see anything. Passenger side is the most critical-that is why it is so hard to find a nice pass rear fender!

lothiandon1940 and 47ragtop like this.

5. And FWIW, I found the swan-necks on eBay for about $40 for the pair, or about 1/3 of Drakes price....

roundvalley and 47ragtop like this.
  6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Swan necks on my 40 with Haggan Fattie mirrors. Excellent vision.

7. roundvalley

roundvalley

Swan neck with convex stick on mirrrors are the best I have used.

47ragtop, Russco and olscrounger like this.