Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 ford history help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fabmancoe, Apr 6, 2011.

1. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

I have 40 Ford that was in Hot Rod August 1958, the article was titled SUBTLE SIX built by a doctor in Ca. The car came to Ohio in the early sixties and has been in my the family since then. I have several copies of the rag but am searching for it's early history, can anyone help! The car is exactly as it was and unrestored, it is my next project. Thanks fabmancoe

2. A picture or two might be helpful. Just sayin'.

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

ya, pics might help... the name of the doc that built it too.

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

thats insane... viva la hamb

5. The car was also mentioned in the most recent issue of Hot Rod Deluxe on news stands now. Viva la Hamb indeed!

6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Wow, what a coincidence you posted. I would love to see photos of your car showing more than the magazine article did.

7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Here is my recent post about your car.

I wonder if there is any additional info available on this 40. Very unusual mods very well done. The article references the fact that the rear spring has been moved to in front of the axle for lowering. Thanks to Mutt for posting the article on the other thread.

Mutt <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

</FIELDSET><TABLE id=post6404890 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_6404890 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Unusual 40 coupe
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title -->
    <!-- message -->I wonder if there is any additional info available on this 40. Very unusual mods very well done. The article references the fact that the rear spring has been moved to in front of the axle for lowering. Thanks to Mutt for posting the article on the other thread.

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]</FIELDSET>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE id=post6404890 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_6404890 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Unusual 40 coupe
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title -->
    <!-- message -->I wonder if there is any additional info available on this 40. Very unusual mods very well done. The article references the fact that the rear spring has been moved to in front of the axle for lowering. Thanks to Mutt for posting the article on the other thread.

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]</FIELDSET>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

8. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Well, I sure messed that up, excited I guess.

9. RDR

RDR

OK...the ball is in your court fabman....PICTURES??

10. Very interesting car for sure.

11. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

You guys are incredible! I am overwelmed with the power of the HAMB,very good stuff.That is the car and article,I will put up some pics. The car is exactly as shown in the rag..quick change 302gmc(335) 3-97s,vertex,lasalle trans etc. The last time I drove the car was too my HS graduation 27 years ago. It has always been garaged and covered, no rust, just 35 coats of old lacquer. I am currently building a 40 pu also with a jimmy.and hand built intake and header (with nice little turbo). The plan is to build the truck and put my head in the right place for good decisions on the coupe resto. I Thank all of you for the great response and tell me what pics youwant to see. fabman

12. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

any &all....thank you

13. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

OK, I snapped a few pics of the coupe. it is in a tight garage bay, I will get some more when I can role the car outside. The pics are in a album on my profile labeled August 1958 hot rod 40 ford coupe. Can this post be bumped to more current? I am new to this GIG. Again thank you guys for the HELP! fabmancoe

14. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

Also, I am open too any suggestions, wording etc on another post to learn more history of this car. I plan to contact the editor of HOTROD DELUXE to see if they will voulanteer more original pics or history per okiedokie's suggestion....maybe they will want a before/after story?? The car actually would clean-up fairly well. I do however plan on a first class restoration. Take Care! fabmancoe

15. Just looked at the pics. Wow...just...WOW

16. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

greenmonster48, I am liken your truck as well. You seem like a tech savy fella,do you have any thoughts on a re-post as there has to be a older fella from Ca or elsewere, on this forum that has seen this car run and knows the whole story...from back in the day. Anyone have thoughts? I have seen the power of the HAMB, but I know there is more??

17. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Boy, I sure do think that if you start a new thread with pictures posted on the thread as opposed to your album, and your story of how you came to own it and why you have held onto it, then many others will see it. Maybe that will generate some answers to your questions. This is a great story that many will have an interest in. If I can help in any way, just ask. Joe

18. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

Joe, Thanks I have not had luck posting pics, except in my albums, and lucky to get that done. LOL I have a couple ideas on post but could use some help on the pics for sure. the original pics from mag. that you have posted along with my current ones and with combo of wording of the two current posts would likely be affective? I am still learning all of this... Thanks fabmancoe maybe I,ll send you a email wed.

19. NealinCA

NealinCA

Wow...very cool car...in amazing condition. Interesting that it has a 39 windshield...

Neal

20. titus

titus

Very cool, its totally untouched.

JEFF

21. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Wash off the dirt to make it shine, make sure the mechanicals are all good and just drive it. I really can't see anything you should do to that car...leave it as is, and drive a piece of history.

22. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Great story and lots of other cool stuff you are involved in!

23. rat seeker

rat seeker

Incredible story, keep us posted.