Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 ford generator charging issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gas man, Jan 12, 2020.

1. gas man

gas man
    from socal

I have a 1940ish ford generator on my flathead. it's a 6v positive ground car. I can get the generator to motor on my workbench. It makes about 7 volts at idle and will climb to about 14 when I rev it up. I just got a new voltage regulator from napa. I polorized the generator by disconnecting the field wire and touching the battery terminal for 1 second. when the car is running I get 7.8 volts at the arm post on the v.r. but just 6.0 on the bat post on the v.r. also when I raise the rpms the volts stay at 7.8 on the arm post , the volts dont rise like they do when the wires are disconnected and I'm checking at the generator. Why wont my battery charge? is the voltage regualtor bad ?

2. 1941coupe

1941coupe

have you checked the voltage at the battery should be 7.2- 7.4

3. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

When I first installed my generator and Napa regulator I made a simple mistake that made my system have the same symptoms that you are having. Somehow I installed the regulator cover on backwards which made me hook the wires to the wrong terminals.
    I guess what I'm saying is, don't make the same mistake I did.:(

Truck64 likes this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I've had to replace new napa regulators three times on one of my vehicles in the past.