Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 ford front suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PONTNAK123, Oct 28, 2016.

1. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

file_1.jpg s-l64.jpg bltpancvb.jpg s-l1600.jpg I just installed vern tardel 2 inch lowering shackles on the front of my 40 ford convert. I have weedetr front shock kit and weedetr panhard bar with split wishbones and a stock spring. once I got my car on the road I noticed that my front axle bumpers were smashed dead against my axle. i jacked the front of the car back up and put on jack stands and cut the axle bumpers off as far as I go until I started hitting the metal inside of the bumpers. I took the car out on the highway and no issues but when in town when I hit a dip in the road or go over a bump there is a loud bang. are the shocks bottoming out or are the axle bumpers to short or are the bumpers still too long. thanks in advance rick file_1.jpg s-l64.jpg bltpancvb.jpg

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Establish the extended and compressed lengths of your shocks and then measure the distance at ride height between shock centres. At ride height, the shocks should be 1/3 compressed allowing for extension and compression when driving. It could be they are too long for your lowered application. Do they suit lowered or stock front ends?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thanks mgtstumpy !

4. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Rick,if it's a loud bang, it's not the shocks. Axle stops are still too long. I did the same thing on my 40, ended up with 1/2" thick urethane ones.

falcongeorge and need louvers ? like this.

5. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thanks dale !!!!!!

6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Sounds like you are hitting the bump stops. I used the 40 ford rear axle stops on my front end. They are much shorter. I am using stock length shackles and a stock type standard eye front spring with with a dropped axle though so I don't even get close to the stops (I think).

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

I bet it looks cool as hell....better post up some pics!