Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Ford Coupe Resurrection, The Tuesday Night Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crusty Chevy, Sep 14, 2017.

1. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

OK, so now I'm curious... what type of business are you embarking on? You mentioned a paint booth and art at your former (I assume) place of employment and I just can't imagine what it might be... I'm sure it's got to be something interesting!

2. I do fine art conservation, preservation and restorations for museums, collectors, and just regular old folks who happen to have a painting or two. I use a spray booth to spray varnish on paintings while my wife works on sculpture and decorative arts. I have taken my trusty old Chicago Industrial Air spray gun (Binks 7 copy gun from high school in the late 1980's) that I had previously painted my 66 galaxie with to a $27 million dollar picture a time or two. My personal record is a $103 million painting I repaired after a water leak caused the paint to pop off in long running lines as the water ran down the face of it but most things I work on including most things at museums are worth $30,000 or less, sometimes way less.

I see you are in Madison, I have never been to Huntsville's museum but I take care of nearly all the paintings at the Birmingham and Montgomery Museums as well a dozen or more museums in the greater South East. I was working for what is call a "Regional Lab" and it just went sour with management based 2000 miles away. But I do not need that lab as my museums and regular clients do not care what the sign on the door says only who is inside touching their masterpieces. It is all about the trust that I have earned through friendship and performing high quality work and they will follow me as long as I stay in the region. I kind of knew this was coming so not totally unprepared and had a plan in place but was thinking in a year from now, not right now.

3. Dog_Patch

Dog_Patch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from North Ga
    1. Sock Fuckers Car Club
    2. S.F.C.C.

Russ has a barn. @Cabbage just in case - I've been piling stuff in there for a while...;)

4. Totally agree. I have a buddy who is an insurance underwriter and a car guy and his response was "your just another statistic". He stated the obvious, you cannot stop instantly from 65 mph, takes two seconds to register that you need to hit the breaks and another to go from the gas to the break, bam you just went the length of a football field in that three seconds. Statistic of the conversation was that Atlanta highway fatalities have risen 34% from 2014 to 2017, and it is not because of an equal population increase, obviously increased speed limits and distracted drivers. Good thing I was paying atention and hit the brakes and slid it home not crossing five lanes trying to avoid it, most of the fatalities do not he said they just plow into the back of the car in front of them at full speed or pull to the side and get clobbered by multiples going full speed.

The kicker is I should have made it, but the ABS never fired and she slid the whole way. But it would not have mattered as the F-150 was the real Dodge killer as he got clipped from behind not once but twice by cars that kept on going and hit me at what must have been 35-40 mph at an angle and took out the whole back end.

5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Not sure of your welding skills but with your chosen occupation in mind and attention to detail required for that the shock mount crossmember is easy to make yourself. Check my build thread for details.Page 6 post 172.

Crusty Chevy likes this.
  6. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will take the rear cross member out and put your name on it. It seems my memory get worse every day since my wife passed. I will be stripping out the good stuff and setting it with the 34 chassis for near future. It will be there when you need it.

7. I am a decent welder, not a rock star but competent. It is a methodical operation, steady and repetitive which fits with my mind set as you said. The only reason I would lean towards buying one is that after pricing the steel spending a day cutting and fabing, testing and fitting for $125 I could be done. I am generally not a catalog rodder but the Chassis Engineering stuff works pretty good.

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Larry, you might better look around to see where else than CE to get a crossmember, do a search and you'll find a thread that CE is closing up for good. The owner/founder has died and the family is having a big sale/auction to clear out all the inventory and then shut the doors for good.

Crusty Chevy likes this.
  9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I do the same. Some times I trade money for time and convenience. As Dave says though you better take stock of what you need and make the purchases soon if you want to use CE parts. Hopefully some company or persons will step up and buy some of the CE tooling and patterns and continue making and marketing the some of the CE stuff.

Crusty Chevy likes this.
  10. topher5150

topher5150

I've seen some CE stuff on the H.A.M.B. for 40 Ford's for a very reasonable price

11. I got to spend a little time in the garage tonight. Didn't get too much done. Got the frame flipped over and got a couple of rivets out. Felt good to get the hands dirty again. 20171128_211715.jpg 20171128_211659.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clemsoncrewman likes this.
  12. Out with the old and in with the new. Good night out in the garage. Got the old crossmember out got the new one in. Was a little tricky getting it to fit hindsight I should have taken the front gussets off and left the original ones on the frame. This would have made it easier to fit the replacement crossmember because the frame narrows at the front horns. I had to use a clamp inverted to spread the frame members apart in order to fit that cross member back in. Good thing though everything fit well and all the old rivet holes lined up from the old frame to the new crossmember. 20171205_210715.jpg 20171205_210701.jpg 20171205_210654.jpg 20171205_210624.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clemsoncrewman likes this.
  13. I am now officially self-employed, got my first check from a paying customer. It was from an old client who would follow me anywhere. That is the kind of loyalty I am going after to retain existing clients as I build my own practice. I kinda wish I could have a dollar like you used to see in restaurants framed behind the cash register, but I will make a copy of it and immediately put it in the bank. Now I can go and get some grade 8 bolts to fix that crossmember in place.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hang in there Larry things will shape up, both on the car and the business.

Crusty Chevy likes this.
  15. Congrats, man! That's awesome! On both the cross member AND the income! AND the 'stache! Keep them all up.

Crusty Chevy likes this.
  16. Business is looking up, still feel a lot like "shit I am in deep shit" but I have a months worth of work lined up and I put in a bid on a huge project here in town that if I get it, and I have a very good shot at it, will make my 2018. Still talking to some backers about getting a space built out and a partnership deal, but I am being cautious on that not wanting to invest too much time on it till something is in writing. It has the potential to be huge, but I do not want to give out too much without getting something in return.

The 'stache comes and goes. My wife thinks I look good in it but does not like when it gets too long and covers the lips, while my little lady loves it when it gets handle bars and hates it when I shave, now my son is opposed to any form of mustache/beard or any body hair at all for that matter. What is it that they say about pleasing some of the people some of the time.....

Working on the car is a good distraction from the oh shits of life. I certainly got in a funk and didn't do shit for a month just reflecting and all on what to do next. When I get out in the garage, or take the '47 for a spin, there are no thoughts of all that and all seems OK. I have plenty of parts, a gallon of primer, grinding and sanding supplies and lots of welding wire that are already paid for so I can work for a very long time without a major outlay of cash.

TomT likes this.